Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Executive Branch Departments (Read 1384 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Executive Branch Departments
Reply #130 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:35am:
My experience is that, if you are paying attention, it takes much less than three months to determine whether or not you've hired a good employee.

I'm not sure what you're going by since you've demonstrated in spades you have zero business or management experience.

This also doesn't contradict my point, I didn't say otherwise.  I said three months is max.  I didn't say they get three months.  There's that whole you read through the bottom of your whiskey bottle thing.

There are certainly employees though who do go three months on the bubble.  Some come in wanting to make an effort but have little work experience and want to make it, but they need significant oversight and training.

I had one woman who worked for me.  She had the best attitude in the world.  And she would most days do her job fine.  Then every so often she would make a flat out stupid mistake you wonder how a functioning adult would do in a hundred years.  Some of them were expensive.  So what do you do?  Fire her, or not?

I had another guy who tried to call sick when we had a big job for him to do.  We had to keep telling him to come in and do it or don't come in at all.  There are definitely people who just live on that bubble.

At first my operations manager came in and told me he called in sick, someone is going need to be taken off their work to do his.  I asked if she believed he was sick.  She said absolutely not.   So I said tell him that I said come in or he's fired.  She did and he came in (not sick).  After a couple times, she just started saying that to him.  It never happened that he was actually sick when we made him come in.  We knew when he was lying

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #131 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:20am:
This is true, but it's only a temporary effect.  The reality is that because of the minimum age as well as unemployment, employers do as you say overpay new employees.  But if they aren't worth the minimum wage, they fire them quickly.  They won't continue to pay them more than they are worth

That is an excellent statist argument for the minimum wage.  Of course there would be more statist arguments in favor of banning the employer from firing the employee who was not worth the minimum wage. 

Most jobs pay more than minimum wage, so it is really not needed if what you say is true.

But it is not, because there are some jobs that are not worth the minimum wage no matter how well one does them. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #132 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm:
That is an excellent statist argument for the minimum wage.  Of course there would be more statist arguments in favor of banning the employer from firing the employee who was not worth the minimum wage.

Laws to tether employees to their employer just make it harder and harder for them to get jobs.  In Europe, they barely hire anyone because you don't hire an employee, you adopt them.  So companies just don't hire.  It's a stupid system, and leftists like you always go the wrong way, Don

Most jobs pay more than minimum wage, so it is really not needed if what you say is true.

That gets to the other part of my post you cut out which mentions you fire them in 3 months or less if they aren't good.  That applies even more the more you pay them

But it is not, because there are some jobs that are not worth the minimum wage no matter how well one does them. 

Yep, and therefore people not worth minimum wage don't maintain employment

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #133 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:51am:
I'm not sure what you're going by since you've demonstrated in spades you have zero business or management experience.

Believe what you want. What's it to me?

BTW, I read this morning that the creation of a new Executive Branch Department has been proposed...

It will have 1600 employees to start out, then it will grow. All of its employees will be paid far above the minimum wage. In fact, they'll be paid quite a bit above average wages/salaries for all private sector workers, and have great benefits and a great retirement plan too!

They'll let them all stay long enough to get in the government employees union, and then they will never be fired. Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy