Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Executive Branch Departments (Read 1133 times)
Little Biq Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Executive Branch Departments
Reply #60 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I know you don't like to do research, so I did it for you:

Chief Justice John Marshall wrote, “Although, among the enumerated powers of government, we do not find the word ‘bank,’…we find the great powers to lay and collect taxes; to borrow money; to regulate commerce…Let the end be legitimate, let it be within the scope of the constitution, and all means which are appropriate, which are plainly adapted to that end, which are not prohibited, but consist with the letter and spirit of the constitution, are constitutional.”

Further, the Court ruled that Maryland could not tax the national bank: “That the power to tax involves the power to destroy. . . . If the states may tax one instrument, employed by the [federal] government in the execution of its powers, they may tax any and every other instrument….This was not intended by the American people. They did not design to make their government dependent on the states.”

Marshall also noted an important difference between the Constitution and the Articles of Confederation (the United States’ first governing document that had been replaced by the Constitution). The Articles said that the states retained all powers not “expressly” given to the federal government. The Tenth Amendment, Marshall noted, did not include the word “expressly.” This was further evidence, he argued, that the Constitution did not limit Congress to doing only those things specifically listed in Article I.

That's John Marshall in 1819, not the more recent Thurgood Marshall.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm:

Chief Justice John Marshall wrote, “Although, among the enumerated powers of government, we do not find the word ‘bank,’…we find the great powers to lay and collect taxes; to borrow money; to regulate commerce…Let the end be legitimate, let it be within the scope of the constitution, and all means which are appropriate, which are plainly adapted to that end, which are not prohibited, but consist with the letter and spirit of the constitution, are constitutional.”

Further, the Court ruled that Maryland could not tax the national bank: “That the power to tax involves the power to destroy. . . . If the states may tax one instrument, employed by the [federal] government in the execution of its powers, they may tax any and every other instrument….This was not intended by the American people. They did not design to make their government dependent on the states.”

Marshall also noted an important difference between the Constitution and the Articles of Confederation (the United States’ first governing document that had been replaced by the Constitution). The Articles said that the states retained all powers not “expressly” given to the federal government. The Tenth Amendment, Marshall noted, did not include the word “expressly.” This was further evidence, he argued, that the Constitution did not limit Congress to doing only those things specifically listed in Article I.

I read all that decades ago.

You concede defeat again, by refusing to even try to answer a fill-in-the-blank question?

Must I make it true false before it will be easy enough for you to risk answering?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
I read all that decades ago.

If you disagree with Chief Justice Marshall, tell me your logic.

Especially the part about the US Constitution being different from the Articles of Confederation.

Quote:
You concede defeat again, by refusing to even try to answer a fill-in-the-blank question?

Must I make it true false before it will be easy enough for you to risk answering?

I answered it, Jeff.

Look on the previous page.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:08pm:
If you disagree with Chief Justice Marshall, tell me your logic.
Cite the case you have in mind.

If it has no relation to the "necessary and proper" clause, don't drag it onto this thread. Thanks.

If it does relate, please explain how. Thanks again.

In the meantime, have you thought of a way to answer my question?

Edit: I looked up your nasty ass, and still couldn't find your answer.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote Today at 12:37pm:
Quote:
Yes, necessary and proper for accomplishing things like creating a navy.

Please complete this sentence- "The creation of a Department of Agriculture was necessary because it serves to put the granted power of _____ into practical effect."

Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 12:44pm:
Wow, that is so easy!

The creation of a Department of Agriculture was necessary because it serves to put the granted power of _Regulation of interstate commerce____ into practical effect.

So, now that you admit that the stated purpose of the constitution was to strengthen the central government, why are you so surprised that the central government used it to increase its power?

Little Biq Man wrote Today at 1:17pm:
Quote:

So, your latest stall tactic is to make me repeat things?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:

So, your latest stall tactic is to make me repeat things?

First you have to answer the question.

You can't possibly repeat things you haven't yet said. Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:42pm:
First you have to answer the question.

You can't possibly repeat things you haven't yet said. Cheesy

Little Biq Man wrote Today at 12:44pm:
Quote:
The creation of a Department of Agriculture was necessary because it serves to put the granted power of _Regulation of interstate commerce____ into practical effect.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:49pm:
Little Biq Man wrote Today at 12:44pm:

That's the way you see it?

That the Department of Agriculture is necessary to enable Congress to keep interstate commerce regular?

Seriously?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 6:27pm:
That's the way you see it?

That the Department of Agriculture is necessary to enable Congress to keep interstate commerce regular?

Seriously?

That's how congress sees it and the constitution grants them that power - according to those to whom the constitution grants the power to decide cases arising under the constitution.

Again, Jeff.  Your argument is with the constitution, not with Little Biq Man.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 7:10pm:
That's how congress sees it...
According to who?

What Congresscritter has ever said that the Agriculture Dept. was necessary for regulating commerce?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy