Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › State Dept. Wastes Taxpayers' $$$ In Tunisia Nation-Building Scheme
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic State Dept. Wastes Taxpayers' $$$ In Tunisia Nation-Building Scheme (Read 112 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

State Dept. Wastes Taxpayers' $$$ In Tunisia Nation-Building Scheme
Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
They're at it again.   Wasting Taxpayers' money in the Middle East.

The State Department spent $2 million to "strengthen democratic institutions and processes."

Senator Rand Paul released the summer 2019 edition "Waste Book" which exposes more than $50 billion in wasteful government spending, and nation-building exercises in the Middle East.

The State Department has spent more than $1.4 billion trying to shore up Tunisian democracy since 2011.

https://reason.com/2019/09/04/rand-paul-says-feds-blew-millions-supporting-tunis...

IP Logged

Industry
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: State Dept. Wastes Taxpayers' $$$ In Tunisia Nation-Building Scheme
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Screw democracy that is always many voting to screw the others.

I say no more democracy ever all places just have different laws open borders go move where you want but no changing laws ever if country is so bad that no one living there let nearest country take land.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:38pm:

The State Department spent $2 million to "strengthen democratic institutions and processes."

Senator Rand Paul released the summer 2019 edition "Waste Book" which exposes more than $50 billion in wasteful government spending, and nation-building exercises in the Middle East.

The State Department has spent more than $1.4 billion trying to shore up Tunisian democracy since 2011.

https://reason.com/2019/09/04/rand-paul-says-feds-blew-millions-supporting-tunis...
Congress gave them the money and there is probably a law that allowed regulations to be written by Dept. of State bureaucrats saying "strengthening democratic institutions"  is a goal of America!

Seriously, how long has it been since you heard anybody in Congress talk about anything but democracy?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:38pm:

The really sad part is that we know this isn't a serious attempt to do anything, because how much promotion of democracy can we do for two million? 

Some low-level State Department geek is giving two million dollars to somebody in exchange for something.

I say low-level, since a "measly two million" isn't enough for a high level government official to get out of bed for.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:28pm:
The really sad part is that we know this isn't a serious attempt to do anything, because how much promotion of democracy can we do for two million? 

Some low-level State Department geek is giving two million dollars to somebody in exchange for something.

I say low-level, since a "measly two million" isn't enough for a high level government official to get out of bed for.
So you think the State Dept. should spend MORE taxpayers' money on promoting democracy in other countries?

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote Today at 7:28pm:
Quote:

SkyChief wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:04pm:
So you think the State Dept. should spend MORE taxpayers' money on promoting democracy in other countries?

No, I think the State Department should spend zero on that.

My point is that if the State Department is serious about anything, it spends more than two million on it.  This sounds like someone's pet project that he or she is getting kickbacks from.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:33pm:
No, I think the State Department should spend zero on that.

My point is that if the State Department is serious about anything, it spends more than two million on it.  This sounds like someone's pet project that he or she is getting kickbacks from.
It does sound a little half-assed.

It's good that Rand Paul is exposing government waste.   Hopefully Taxpayers will start demanding accountability with government's wasteful spending policy.

“The intelligent man, when he pays taxes, certainly does not believe that he is making a prudent and productive investment of his money; on the contrary, he feels that he is being mulcted in an excessive amount for services that, in the main, are useless to him.” - H.L. Mencken

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:39pm:
It does sound a little half-assed.

It's good that Rand Paul is exposing government waste.   Hopefully Taxpayers will start demanding accountability with government's wasteful spending policy.

“The intelligent man, when he pays taxes, certainly does not believe that he is making a prudent and productive investment of his money; on the contrary, he feels that he is being mulcted in an excessive amount for services that, in the main, are useless to him.” - H.L. Mencken

I didn't read the article before I responded, chief, since I trust you to accurately summarize.  Rand Paul said this:

In Tunisia, the State Department spent $2 million to "strengthen democratic institutions and processes," apparently as part of an effort to increase trust between the Tunisian people and their nascent democratic system. Paul's office points out that the State Department has spent more than $1.4 billion trying to shore up Tunisian democracy since the 2011 uprising that deposed Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who had ruled as a dictator since 1987.

"What makes State believe $2 million more will succeed where 1.4 billion has failed?" Paul's report asks.

I have to wonder how much of that 1.4 billion was indirectly funneled to the Clinton Foundation during the Obama years.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:31am
Print Post  
The military helps The Donald get richer:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/08/politics/air-force-donald-trump-turnberry/index.h...

Who knew servicemen and women got to stay in such nice places?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › State Dept. Wastes Taxpayers' $$$ In Tunisia Nation-Building Scheme
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy