Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Must One be Rich to Be Libertarian?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Must One be Rich to Be Libertarian? (Read 985 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Must One be Rich to Be Libertarian?
Reply #70 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Chief, you already sound like the manager and architect of SeaStead.  If you are willing to start it by building a barge home out there then I promise I will join.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #71 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:15pm:
Chief, you already sound like the manager and architect of SeaStead.  If you are willing to start it by building a barge home out there then I promise I will join.
I can't take any credit for the seasteading idea.  It has been discussed in other threads on this forum, but the search function on this BBS sucks, and I'm unable to find them.

The biggest hurdle to establishing a seastead colony is the foundation structure that the home modules will be attached to.  It will cost alot of money, and require many investors.

BTW, the home modules will be built off-site (on land) and towed to the seastead where they will be attached.

I hope to be one the first seasteaders.  Hope you are too.   Smiley

Here's an artist's concept of a seasted.  It's built on columns instead of floating barges.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #72 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:26pm:
I can't take any credit for the seasteading idea.  It has been discussed in other threads on this forum, but the search function on this BBS sucks, and I'm unable to find them.

The biggest hurdle to establishing a seastead colony is the foundation structure that the home modules will be attached to.  It will cost alot of money, and require many investors.

BTW, the home modules will be built off-site (on land) and towed to the seastead where they will be attached.

I hope to be one the first seasteaders.  Hope you are too.   Smiley

Seriously, I don't think Seastead makes as much sense as buying an island and declaring it a sovereign nation.  You could technically do the same thing if you have a giant cruise ship.  SeaStead and a cruise ship would be too reliant on the mainland for resources though and as you have said, will need a super amount of investment and engineering.

The idea of towing a chain of barges thousand of miles at a time to visit different ports sounds like it would take many, many years as it would be slower than a rowboat.

So let's say that an apartment on SeaStead cost 2 million plus a one time buyer's fee.  Dont you think over time it would cost millions more to maintain?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #73 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
. . .So let's say that an apartment on SeaStead cost 2 million plus a one time buyer's fee.  Dont you think over time it would cost millions more to maintain?
No.  It doesn't work like that.

You log on to the Seastead website.   Fill out the order form.  A single home module costs $1.4 Million.

All YOU need to do is choose a floor plan for your home.  The Seastead company orders a subcontractor to build your new home module.  The home module is bolted on to a standard size floatation platform and then you pay the $20k connect/disconnect fee to have your unit towed out to the seastead and hooked up.

Your unit will be pre-fabricated on land somewhere near (usu. within 20 miles) the seastead... It doesn't need to be towed very far.   

When its all hooked up, you get a phone call, and a helicopter whisks you out to the seastead where you're greeted by 3 lovely women who hand you the keys to you new home.   Don't worry -- the helicopter ride is included in your connect/disconnect fee.   Smiley

Also, the 3 women are at your disposal for the remainder of the day.   Smiley  Ok, not really.   Embarrassed

But the Gun&Ammo shop offers insane discounts (up to 70% off!) on ammo for new homeowners.  Don't wait too long to take advantage - the offer expires in 7 days.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #74 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
OK, thanks for the info.

Now tell me the pros and cons of Seastead and then tell me the pros and cons of having your own sovereign island country.

Let's do an honest analysis here.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #75 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:01pm:
OK, thanks for the info.

Now tell me the pros and cons of Seastead and then tell me the pros and cons of having your own sovereign island country.

Seastead PROs:  Can be moved to new location if needed.  Can be expanded to allow for growth.

Seastead CONs: If free floating, it must have some means of propulsion to maintain position.

Island Country PROs:  No need to worry about it being moved by wind or currents.

Island Country CONs: Cannot move if needed.   Cannot expand for growth (who wants to see skyscrapers on an island?)

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #76 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Well, I don't think skyscrapers would work on a barge and no, I don't like them either but I would like the right to build one.

The main thing is sovereignty.  We just need to get the hell out of the State.

I have a crazy friend who bought over 100 acres of volcanic land on the Big Island (Hawaii) in the middle of nowhere.  She has no electricity or running water and is dependant on a natural water source nearby.  She grows her own food and raises some animals on the land.  Everything was fine until she decided to let a few backpackers camp on her land as they were willing to help with the farm work.  Within a week, the Hawaiian government came and threatened her.  They demanded that she register her land as a business and pay the fees and taxes.  She had no choice but to kick the free squatters out.

We need to be free of government and be able to use big guns to defend that freedom.  Island would probably be better.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #77 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:24am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:26pm:
Here's an artist's concept of a seasted.  It's built on columns instead of floating barges.
That's takes care of the problems with connecting the barges together, but it will be much more expensive, limiting seasteading to only the ultra-rich... Lucky for you there are plenty of ultra-rich libertarians around. Grin Grin Grin

I hope it's sited on a geologically stable part of the ocean floor... That will limit where it can be placed...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #78 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:31am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:52pm:
No.  It doesn't work like that.

You log on to the Seastead website.   Fill out the order form.  A single home module costs $1.4 Million.

All YOU need to do is choose a floor plan for your home.  The Seastead company orders a subcontractor to build your new home module.  The home module is bolted on to a standard size floatation platform and then you pay the $20k connect/disconnect fee to have your unit towed out to the seastead and hooked up.

Your unit will be pre-fabricated on land somewhere near (usu. within 20 miles) the seastead... It doesn't need to be towed very far.   

When its all hooked up, you get a phone call, and a helicopter whisks you out to the seastead where you're greeted by 3 lovely women who hand you the keys to you new home.   Don't worry -- the helicopter ride is included in your connect/disconnect fee.   Smiley

Also, the 3 women are at your disposal for the remainder of the day.   Smiley  Ok, not really.   Embarrassed

But the Gun&Ammo shop offers insane discounts (up to 70% off!) on ammo for new homeowners.  Don't wait too long to take advantage - the offer expires in 7 days.
Just bolting the module on isn't the end of it Chief, you need to connect to the fresh water supply from the desalinization plant, connect to the supply of electricity from... Where wil the electricity come from? Also, you'll have to connect to the waste disposal system (I assume they'll be some sort of sewage treatment plant? What kind?)

Will there be weekly garbage collection? What will be done with all the trash?

Anyway, good luck. Do you plan to sell your share in the Piper? And your Harley?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #79 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:31am:
Just bolting the module on isn't the end of it Chief, you need to connect to the fresh water supply from the desalinization plant, connect to the supply of electricity from... Where wil the electricity come from? Also, you'll have to connect to the waste disposal system.
all that stuff (elect. power/potable water/sewage) is done when the home module is pre-fabricated (on land).

The one-time $20k connect/disconnect fee includes hook-up to the grid (and disconnect when the time comes). All connections are completed before homeowner opens the front door for the first time.

There will be a clear point of demarcation with respect to utilities.  Any and all maintenance or repairs of utilities within the home module is the responsibility of the homeowner.  Repairs/maintenance of the platform grid is the responsibility of the Seastead company.

Will there be weekly garbage collection? What will be done with all the trash?
Trash/garbage will be processed, compacted and loaded onto trash barges, and shipped to a mainland trash facility.

Anyway, good luck. Do you plan to sell your share in the Piper? And your Harley?
Yes to both.  The F 250, too - no need for that on the seastead!   Grin

I plan to buy a twin-diesel motor yacht to make fast jaunts to the mainland. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Must One be Rich to Be Libertarian?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy