Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Compulsory military training and service is against human rights
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Compulsory military training and service is against human rights (Read 1404 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Compulsory military training and service is against human rights
Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 7:39pm:
I looked up "homeostasis" but I'm not sure how it applies to government.
Nor will you ever find out by questioning the worm... Perhaps it has something to do with the thread topic?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:16am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 8:40pm:
I want nothing more than to accept every libertarian belief as absolute truth, and this is just me lying.
Fixed that for you. Kiss

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:21am
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:29am:
Richard Nixon ended the draft in 1973 because the USA was switching to a policy of nuclear deterrence to reduce the number of military personnel needed in the event of a war.
I don't agree that that was the reason.

This is more likely:

"Nixon thought ending the draft could be an effective political weapon against the burgeoning anti-war movement. He believed middle-class youths would lose interest in protesting the war once it became clear that they would not have to fight, and possibly die, in Vietnam."

From here:

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/01/us-military-draft-ends-jan-27-1973-072085

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 6:21am:
I don't agree that that was the reason.

This is more likely:

"Nixon thought ending the draft could be an effective political weapon against the burgeoning anti-war movement. He believed middle-class youths would lose interest in protesting the war once it became clear that they would not have to fight, and possibly die, in Vietnam."

From here:

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/01/us-military-draft-ends-jan-27-1973-072085

That was also true, I am glad that Nixon gave the protesters what they wanted and protected human rights, just like every other president that I listed in my thread:

Libertarian Policies of US Presidents: www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1533836645

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 10:23am:
Agreed.

Your point is so obvious and clear that no one who believes otherwise should even want to post on a libertarian forum.

I agree but....
I would support a system in which there were two classes of citizens, voters and non-voters.  Non-voters get all the rights of citizens except voting. 

Voters get to vote but in order to do so they are required to serve in the military.   I'd suggest 4 years active and 16 in the reserve/militia. 

Military service was traditional in all republics prior to the United states.  Those who rule society should be obligated to defend society.  This was the reason all governments justified their existence prior to modern times.  Granted, governments originally arose as a protection racket and generally serve that function still, its really just a matter of how well the fulfill that role that varies.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:55am:
That was also true, I am glad that Nixon gave the protesters what they wanted and protected human rights, just like every other president that I listed in my thread:

Libertarian Policies of US Presidents: www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1533836645
He was hoping to win against his political opponents. If he would have thought that continuing the Vietnam War, and the draft, would have scored political points for him, that's what he would have done.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:58pm:
Military service was traditional in all republics prior to the United states.
Because it was sometimes necessary to defend the Republic. That's the purpose of granting Congress the power to declare war and raise armies.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:33pm:
Because it was sometimes necessary to defend the Republic. That's the purpose of granting Congress the power to declare war and raise armies.

That is a non sequitor.  Of course it is sometimes necessary to defend the Republic and all others.  Which is why most republics required military duty as a pre-requisite to citizenship.  It was a mistake on the part of founders not to do the same, at least for full voting rights.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:43pm:
That is a non sequitor.  Of course it is sometimes necessary to defend the Republic and all others.  Which is why most republics required military duty as a pre-requisite to citizenship.  It was a mistake on the part of founders not to do the same, at least for full voting rights. 
They gave Congress the power to raise armies, and the Constitution doesn't say "volunteer" armies, although that is not prohibited...

Who got to vote was supposed to be left up to the states. We couldn't do much worse in electing Congresscriters and Presidents if we had universal suffrage and let even newborn babies vote.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:31pm:
He was hoping to win against his political opponents. If he would have thought that continuing the Vietnam War, and the draft, would have scored political points for him, that's what he would have done.

That is true, though these Libertarian policies protected human rights, the presidents only introduced these policies to win against political opponents and the next election. But even then, its better to have presidents who introduce Libertarian policies for personal gain than to not introduce policies that defend freedom at all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Compulsory military training and service is against human rights
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy