Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Coming Up: Banned Book Week! (Read 847 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:04pm:
Oh, my lord!

No, they are not.

By helping the American Library Association celebrate their fake "Banned Book Week," you are feeding into their lies.
What if we made a list of books that were banned in Catholic schools?

It would be easier to make a list of books that were allowed...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:04pm:
So, if a community of taxpaying parents doesn't want the school librarian to stock multiple copies of "50 Shades of Grey," they are book banners, and just a step away from being book burners?
Banning it from the curriculum would be worse, but yes, it's a step in the direction of censorship, but, censoring the books that children are allowed to read is a good idea. Ideally, it should be done on an individual level, but one school, and one grade at a time isn't a bad idea either. Second best I'd say.

The truth of history is, books were banned, and burned, and sometimes the people who had them were cruelly murdered.

Edit: Today, 50 Shades of Gray is not banned. It's probably required reading in some schools...

Do you think it's appropriate for 6th Graders?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  

Jeff wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:33pm:
Banning it from the curriculum would be worse, but yes, it's a step in the direction of censorship, but, censoring the books that children are allowed to read is a good idea. Ideally, it should be done on an individual level, but one school, and one grade at a time isn't a bad idea either. Second best I'd say.

The truth of history is, books were banned, and burned, and sometimes the people who had them were cruelly murdered.

Edit: Today, 50 Shades of Gray is not banned. It's probably required reading in some schools...

Do you think it's appropriate for 6th Graders?

No, I don’t. Neither would any parent with brains enough to have a paying job. That’s why taxes are taken at gun point, to pay for things normal people would never pay for voluntarily.

You posed like a criminal with a copy of Fahrenheit 451? To imply people have been jailed for reading it?  When and where?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Here's an instance of the fedeal government wanting to ban a book:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-files-civil-suit-against-edward-snowden-ove...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:23am:
Here's an instance of the fedeal government wanting to ban a book:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-files-civil-suit-against-edward-snowden-ove...

Right, and I could start a whole thread about government using "classified" or "sensitive" as a way to hide information from the public it supposedly serves.  I haven't bothered since we can all see that for ourselves in the absurd hearings in which elected representative try to get unelected deepstaters to answer questions.

By that has nothing to do with the point of this thread, which is that the "banned books" celebrated during "Banned Book Week," are for the most part not banned at all, but simply objected to by parents and/or taxpayers.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 9:38am:
Right, and I could start a whole thread about government using "classified" or "sensitive" as a way to hide information from the public it supposedly serves.  I haven't bothered since we can all see that for ourselves in the absurd hearings in which elected representative try to get unelected deepstaters to answer questions.

By that has nothing to do with the point of this thread, which is that the "banned books" celebrated during "Banned Book Week," are for the most part not banned at all, but simply objected to by parents and/or taxpayers.

Right. Quite often banned by the very people you mention, who are also the people you call agents of the government when they control local public schools that they vote to fund.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, there's this:

https://www.mintpressnews.com/us-still-bans-suppresses-books-despite-the-forbidd...

And of course, other governments do it too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy