Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Coming Up: Banned Book Week! (Read 849 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Sep 11th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
During "Banned Book Week," school, county and municipal librarians champion the cause of opposing censorship. 

Except not.

The "banned books" they celebrate are not books like the bible, the most banned book in history or any other book that has actually been banned by government.  The books they celebrate are books that people in communities "challenged," i.e. objected to being included in the inventory of public and school libraries.  The people who pay for books and whose children are presented the books are apparently supposed to have no say in which books are selected.  That must be left to the American Library Association, many of whose members have advanced degrees, after all.

"Banned Book Week," should be called, "Nosy parents/taxpayers should stay our of our business week."

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of project censored.  Basically a yearly round up of really boring stories that very progressive academics think should have gotten more coverage in the news.  AT best it should be project undercovered, more accurately, project,.....what was that I just fell asleep for a little bit.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2019 at 3:53pm by ahhell »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 12:41pm:
During "Banned Book Week," school, county and municipal librarians champion the cause of opposing censorship. 

Except not.

The "banned books" they celebrate are not books like the bible, the most banned book in history or any other book that has actually been banned by government.  The books they celebrate are books that people in communities "challenged," i.e. objected to being included in the inventory of public and school libraries.  The people who pay for books and whose children are presented the books are apparently supposed to have no say in which books are selected.  That must be left to the American Library Association, many of whose members have advanced degrees, after all.

"Banned Book Week," should be called, "Nosy parents/taxpayers should stay our of our business week."

My library has been doing it for several weeks now, and all the books they have picked out and on display as soon as you walk in the library were banned somewhere at some time. I had my picture taken holding Fahrenheit 451. I tried to look like a criminal in a line-up...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 3:58pm:
My library has been doing it for several weeks now, and all the books they have picked out and on display as soon as you walk in the library were banned somewhere at some time. I had my picture taken holding Fahrenheit 451. I tried to look like a criminal in a line-up...

Fahrenheit 451 was actually banned, not just taken off library shelves?

Where and when?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:09pm:
Fahrenheit 451 was actually banned, not just taken off library shelves?

Where and when?
Here for one:

https://world.edu/banned-book-awareness-fahrenheit-451-ray-bradbury/

Amazing isn't it?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:37pm:

I'm trying not to be snarky anymore, Jeff.  But my first thought was 'It's amazing that Jeff is so dense.'

When a school decides not to buy copies of a book and give it to students for free, that isn't anywhere close to "banning" that book.  Any parent or student is free to go the book store and get a copy.

I thought you claimed that you want parents to control local public schools, no?  Having a say in what books is uses is part of that control, isn't it?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
That is very much an example of a book that wasn't banned.  It was removed from the curriculum, along with 90+% of all books ever written. 

It doesn't seem as though it was even removed from the school library.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:21pm:
I'm trying not to be snarky anymore, Jeff.  But my first thought was 'It's amazing that Jeff is so dense.'

When a school decides not to buy copies of a book and give it to students for free, that isn't anywhere close to "banning" that book.  Any parent or student is free to go the book store and get a copy.

I thought you claimed that you want parents to control local public schools, no?  Having a say in what books is uses is part of that control, isn't it?

When a town, or city, or county takes action to make sure a book is not available in schools or the library, they are banning the book in their community. Not to the point that they will arrest you and burn the copy you own, but that sort of thing has happened all too often in human history.

Mostly people didn't want children and young adults reading them and getting "bad" ideas, and, without an internet, it was pretty effective.

Sometimes the book were heaped on fires and the people who were reading them were killed.

That's the other extreme of trying to censor thought. Shocked

BTW, bookstores were/are sort of rare in large parts of the world. Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:21pm:

I do, it is. Smiley

Edit: Have you seen some of the crap Departments of Education put in our schools?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
When a town, or city, or county takes action to make sure a book is not available in schools or the library, they are banning the book in their community.

Oh, my lord!

No, they are not.

By helping the American Library Association celebrate their fake "Banned Book Week," you are feeding into their lies.

Quote:
Not to the point that they will arrest you and burn the copy you own, but that sort of thing has happened all too often in human history.

Mostly people didn't want children and young adults reading them and getting "bad" ideas, and, without an internet, it was pretty effective.

Sometimes the book were heaped on fires and the people who were reading them were killed.

That's the other extreme of trying to censor thought. Shocked

BTW, bookstores were/are sort of rare in large parts of the world. Cry

So, if a community of taxpaying parents doesn't want the school librarian to stock multiple copies of "50 Shades of Grey," they are book banners, and just a step away from being book burners?

You are the quintessential statist, Jeff.  Not giving you something =/= taking away your right to have it.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming Up: Banned Book Week!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy