Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Seriously good conversation
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Seriously good conversation (Read 619 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Seriously good conversation
Sep 15th, 2019 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
This is great, great exchange of ideas between Dr. Ron Paul and Nicholas Nassim Taleb.  Risks and skin in the game when introducing Libertarian solutions. Chief will appreciate this.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Seriously good conversation
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Nassim Nicholas Taleb rambles on and on in the interview, speaks alot of words without really saying anything.

Towards the end of the interview however, he becomes a bit more lucid and starts to make sense:

The job of the Federal Government is to make sure nobody attacks [the US], and not to just try to correct the regime change elsewhere, or imagine enemies that keep creating enemies to keep the arms manufacturers in business. So we thought that Trump was going to correct that.

They gotta have a mental illness because everything they've done has failed.  But because they are not punished - they're in an air-conditioned office in Washington
[DC] because they're not punished for their mistakes - well, of course someone else is paying the price, so they keep on doing the same thing.

And I spoke
[in the book] about all these neocons - There'll be mental illness to think they'll get it right next time.

My translation:

Neocons in DC are happy to recklessly spend Taxpayer's money in the Middle East because they are immune from accountability so long as they continue to funnel money to the MIC.

The entire interview could have been condensed to 6 or 7 minutes had Taleb been able to convey his thoughts intelligibly.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
English is his 4th language Chief.  Don't you think Dr. Paul was great?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:41pm:
English is his 4th language Chief.  Don't you think Dr. Paul was great?

Ron Paul is a genius in my book.   

It was kinda obvious that Ron was getting a little frustrated with the guest rambling on unintelligibly.

But in the end of the interview, the message came out;

Taxpayers' wealth is being redistributed to the MIC, and because of this, the US will forever be meddling and intervening in foreign civil wars.

We had better get used to it.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:13am:
Taxpayers' wealth is being redistributed to the MIC, and because of this, the US will forever be meddling and intervening in foreign civil wars.

We had better get used to it.

I really don't care. What's relevant to me is 1) if I'm stealing when I buy cheap products from the army surplus store and 2) if I am responsible for the murders the MIC commits.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:21am:
I really don't care. What's relevant to me is 1) if I'm stealing when I buy cheap products from the army surplus store and 2) if I am responsible for the murders the MIC commits.

1) You are not stealing when you buy cheap products from the army surplus store.  Your stolen wealth has already paid for part of whatever you are buying.

2) The MIC doesn't commit any murders.  They just build the guns and UAVs used to commit the murders.

The murderers are the Hawks who send our young men and women to far away places to fight in foreign civil wars and return home in body bags, or crippled with PTSD and a host of other psychological disorders.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:39am:
1) You are not stealing when you buy cheap products from the army surplus store.  Your stolen wealth has already paid for part of whatever you are buying.

2) The MIC doesn't commit any murders.  They just build the guns and UAVs used to commit the murders.

The murderers are the Hawks who send our young men and women to far away places to fight in foreign civil wars and return home in body bags, or crippled with PTSD and a host of other psychological disorders.

What if you had a parasite on your back that randomly lashed out and murdered people? It lives only because of you. That's how I see this, though I will accept your assessment that buying the cheap army surplus stuff isn't theft.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
del
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2019 at 11:00am by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Chief,

I told you that he is holding out until his 2nd term and that is when you will see fireworks.  Trump is very Libertarian, you just wait and see.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 12:55am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:27pm:
Chief,

I told you that he is holding out until his 2nd term and that is when you will see fireworks.  Trump is very Libertarian, you just wait and see.

Ok.

I'll hold you to it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Seriously good conversation
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy