Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Free Free Free Free 2020 - John Stossel Offers A Reality Check
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Free Free Free Free 2020 - John Stossel Offers A Reality Check (Read 1333 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Free Free Free Free 2020 - John Stossel Offers A Reality Check
Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 3:35pm:
The exact quote is this:

"if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, November 29, 1802

The sentiment is the same, so it's not really important.
Ok.   Thanks.  I will edit my "Famous Quotes" file to reflect that actual quote.

I have used this (mis)quote on other forums, as well.   Embarrassed

Thanks for showing the real quote.

Yes, they have the same sentiment, but a quote is a quote.  Jefferson deserved to be properly quoted.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 3:28pm:
Admitting that taxes laid on wages and salaries are Direct and requiring that they be apportioned would do that. The Law is already in place, it's just being ignored.
Yes, the law is ignored. 

There needs to be a less ambiguous Law regarding Taxation on earnings.

Like a 28th Amendment that supercedes and repeals the 16th Amendment:

The Congress shall NOT have power to lay and collect taxes on the following:  incomes, from whatever source derived, or wages, tips, salaries, dividends, interest, stipends, inheritances, windfall profits, buried treasures, sunken treasures, and coins found between the sofa cushions, rents, leases, gratuities, gifts, banking errors, refunds, earned airline miles, gambling winnings, contest awards, lottery winnings.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:08pm:
Ok.   Thanks.  I will edit my "Famous Quotes" file to reflect that actual quote.

I have used this (mis)quote on other forums, as well.   Embarrassed

Thanks for showing the real quote.

Yes, they have the same sentiment, but a quote is a quote.  Jefferson deserved to be properly quoted.
I really just like the antique phrasing and creative spelling of the original. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:19pm:
Yes, the law is ignored. 

There needs to be a less ambiguous Law regarding Taxation on earnings.

Like a 28th Amendment that supercedes and repeals the 16th Amendment:

The Congress shall NOT have power to lay and collect taxes on the following:  incomes, from whatever source derived, or wages, tips, salaries, dividends, interest, stipends, inheritances, windfall profits, buried treasures, sunken treasures, and coins found between the sofa cushions, rents, leases, gratuities, gifts, banking errors, refunds, earned airline miles, gambling winnings, contest awards, lottery winnings.
You are changing far too many things from taxable income of various types into non-taxable income.

Heaven forbid your amendment would be ratified, it would be in the Supreme Court constantly.

Critical thinking should tell you to use the KISS principle when writing laws.

Your amendment would throw the entire burden of federal taxation on property, which means all such taxes would have to be apportioned...

All that is really necessary is to declare the 16th Amendment null and void by means of repeal.

I've mentioned that before. Why don't you like that idea?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:14pm:
You are changing far too many things from taxable income of various types into non-taxable income.
Exactly - this takes all the guesswork out of it.  The law as written is too ambiguous.  We need to replace that old law with a law that is clear, and concise.  My 28th Amendment makes it very clear to government that taxing a person's earnings is wrong, and unlawful. 

There is no ambiguity at all.

Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 5:14pm:
Your amendment would throw the entire burden of federal taxation on property, which means all such taxes would have to be apportioned...
Actually, property taxes should be abolished as well.

Federal and State governments could obtain essential government funding with Tariffs and Sales Taxes.

Income taxes only generate excess funding which allows redistribution, nation building, intervention, War, and unnecessary government expansion, reckless spending on idiotic research grants.

The National Science Foundation received $856,000 in funding from the Federal Government to conduct a study to see if it is possible to train Lions to walk on a treadmill. It took the Lions eight months. No joke.

We need to take away Congress' cash cow.  This will reduce funding, forcing the government to spend money prudently.   Naturally, government will need to be down-sized considerably - close to a third or even a quarter of their current size.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:19pm:
Exactly - this takes all the guesswork out of it.  The law as written is too ambiguous.
I can't see the ambiguity in "Direct taxes must be apportioned, Indirect taxes must be uniform"...

It's certainly true that "progressives" have made those clear statements seem ambiguous by trying to muddy the meanings of "uniform" and "apportioned", but I'd imagine a critical thinker like yourself can see right through their evil machinations.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:19pm:
We need to take away Congress' cash cow.  This will reduce funding, forcing the government to spend money prudently.
Current Law allows Congress to spend only for things necessary and proper to the execution of their assigned duties, and necessary and proper to the completion of their assigned tasks.

Current law also requires that they account to us on where they spent our money.

"No one knows where it went" is not a proper accounting.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:31pm:
I can't see the ambiguity in "Direct taxes must be apportioned, Indirect taxes must be uniform"...
No, no - that's the old law.  Too much "wiggle room" there.

With my 28th Amendment, there is no fooling around with legal terms like "Direct" or "Indirect" or "apportioned" blah blah blah.

My Law makes it clear to government:

KEEP YER GODDAM HANDS OFF PEOPLE'S MONEY.  PERIOD.

By doing away with Income and Property Taxes, government will need to tighten their belt, so to speak.

They will need to spend what little they have more responsibly.   When government waste is discovered, heads roll.  Government just got a little smaller!!   Grin 

If government finds that it needs more funding, they must make payroll cuts.  There is a happy balance somewhere.   

We need to get the government back to the size it was in the late 1800s, before income and property taxes.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 7:24pm:
No, no - that's the old law.  Too much "wiggle room" there.

Only if you start redefining words and obfuscating issues until people can no longer tell the difference between direct actions and indirect actions, or between uniform actions and irregular actions.

Which part is allowing you to squirm?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 24th, 2019 at 7:24pm:

With my 28th Amendment, there is no fooling around with legal terms like "Direct" or "Indirect" or "apportioned" blah blah blah.

My Law makes it clear to government:

KEEP YER GODDAM HANDS OFF PEOPLE'S MONEY.  PERIOD.

By doing away with Income and Property Taxes, government will need to tighten their belt, so to speak.

They will need to spend what little they have more responsibly.
The "little that they have" will be nothing.

Anarchy is a bad idea, Chief.

No wait, sorry, you want a VAT and tariffs to produce $3.5 trillion in revenue, and I bet they can easily do that.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Free Free Free Free 2020 - John Stossel Offers A Reality Check
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy