Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What Would Rothbard Do?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What Would Rothbard Do? (Read 1139 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

What Would Rothbard Do?
Sep 25th, 2019 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
In front of the most libertarian being possible is a ballot. He is being asked to choose whether pot should be legal in his area.

He also has Skychief's magic 8 ball and knows the outcome with absolute certainty.

Skychief's infallible crystal ball tells him that if pot is legalised, it will draw hippies and they will vote Left, stripping far more freedom than is gained by legalising marijuana. The crystal ball also tells the most libertarian being possible that he happens to be the deciding vote.

How does this perfect being vote?

Not voting will result in the policy (currently illegal marijuana) not being changed.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What Would Rothbard Do?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Rothbard's penchant for anarchy would lead him to pontificate about the fact that money was stolen from people to fund the referendum.

I don't know why you hold Rothbard up as a "perfect" person...

The average non-radical-fringe-anarchist libertarian would simply tell you that the U.S. government is granted no power to make marijuana illegal in the first place.

The average "progressive" will tell you that the general Welfare clause grants the federal government the power to ban anything they think is bad.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 7:46am:
Rothbard's penchant for anarchy would lead him to pontificate about the fact that money was stolen from people to fund the referendum.

I don't know why you hold Rothbard up as a "perfect" person...

The average non-radical-fringe-anarchist libertarian would simply tell you that the U.S. government is granted no power to make marijuana illegal in the first place.

The average "progressive" will tell you that the general Welfare clause grants the federal government the power to ban anything they think is bad.

So no answer again? Thanks.

It was a very simple question and only the title mentioned Rothbard. I specified the most libertarian being possible.

He has a ballot in front of him and he knows the outcome. He can vote pot legal and have it draw hippies who vote Left and take guns, or he can not do that and maintain more net freedom.

He knows the outcome. What does he choose?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I don't know how the perfect libertarian would vote.   How much information does the magic ball tell me?  Is it just that in the future more progressive pot smoking hippies will liver here or is it more detailed?  Does it tell me what sort of policies will result and what kind of society said hippies will create?

With out that information, I still vote to legalize.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:31am:
I don't know how the perfect libertarian would vote.   How much information does the magic ball tell me?  Is it just that in the future more progressive pot smoking hippies will liver here or is it more detailed?  Does it tell me what sort of policies will result and what kind of society said hippies will create?

Yes, and the first thing that happens in the scenario is that they will take your guns. They will increase redistribution. They will toughen anti-discrimination laws. They will get on welfare and overpopulate, then they will want rent control. Slums will go up. They will create New York City.

Something similar is actually happening now in Colorado. We voted to legalise pot and it drew hippies from California and now the state is blue which is already having negative effects. They already voted to raise the minimum wage, which is something I don't think would have been possible before.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 11:14pm:
In front of the most libertarian being possible is a ballot. He is being asked to choose whether pot should be legal in his area.

Not voting will result in the policy (currently illegal marijuana) not being changed.
You must vote to decriminalize pot.

Rothbard absolutely would.

You see, nobody had the right to make pot illegal in the first place!

That's right.

Does a person (or a group of people) have a right to tell you that carrots are "illegal"?  How about rhubarb?  Or coriander?

Of course not. That would be absurd.   It is equally absurd to tell a man he cannot do whatever he wants to marijuana (another natural organic plant).

Vote YES on pot!

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:41am:
Yes, and the first thing that happens in the scenario is that they will take your guns. They will increase redistribution. They will toughen anti-discrimination laws. They will get on welfare and overpopulate, then they will want rent control. Slums will go up. They will create New York City.

Something similar is actually happening now in Colorado. We voted to legalise pot and it drew hippies from California and now the state is blue which is already having negative effects. They already voted to raise the minimum wage, which is something I don't think would have been possible before.

Your timeline on and causation in Colorado is way off. 

As an economic refuge from CA in CO, I didn't come here for the pot.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:18am:
So no answer again? Thanks.

It was a very simple question and only the title mentioned Rothbard. I specified the most libertarian being possible.

He has a ballot in front of him and he knows the outcome. He can vote pot legal and have it draw hippies who vote Left and take guns, or he can not do that and maintain more net freedom.

He knows the outcome. What does he choose?
What a crappy imaginary scenario.

Rothbard loves Hippies and pot, and doesn't think anyone should vote on anything.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:41am:

You must be using a very bad system of government... I'll guess it's been designed by "progressives"...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 11:14pm:

He also has Skychief's magic 8 ball and knows the outcome with absolute certainty.

Skychief's infallible crystal ball tells him that if pot is legalised, it will draw hippies and they will vote Left, stripping far more freedom than is gained by legalising marijuana. The crystal ball also tells the most libertarian being possible that he happens to be the deciding vote.

How does this perfect being vote?

Legalize.

Then raise funds to give free pot to hippies on voting day with post-its on the baggies that say "Vote for ______" (the libertarian candidate).

If that is an unfair reworking of the question, my vote would still be legalize.  If it comes out exactly as the magic 8 ball predicts, that will be further evidence that libertarianism is incompatible with democracy or a "representative republic."

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What Would Rothbard Do?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy