Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Using The Term "Illegal Alien" Could Cost You $250,000 In NY
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Using The Term "Illegal Alien" Could Cost You $250,000 In NY (Read 679 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Using The Term "Illegal Alien" Could Cost You $250,000 In NY
Reply #30 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:36am
Print Post  
That is the point I am trying to make.

My sign absolutely offends the majority of taxpayers.  Imagine how upset you would be if you saw that sign in your town.

This is not about protecting the illegals.  It is about those anchor babies growing up with citizenship and getting themselves elected into office.

The same shit is happening in part of Europe but even worse.  Muslim anchor babies are getting themselves voted into high positions and then they are basically proposing laws that seem innocent at first but actually open the door for more Muslims and then comes Sharia Law.

There is no need for war in California when everyone in power is Latino and the majority population is Latino.  Why would they war against each other?

John & Ken called it over 20 years ago.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:51am:
NYC has been granted the power to decide the meaning of the term Illegal Alien
But they don't have any legitimate authority to infringe on people's right of free speech, and they certainly haven't been given the power to arbitrarily alter the meaning of words.

They might think they can do it, but they can't. Both Congress and SCOTUS have used the term "illegal alien".

Edit: On the subject of attempts to destroy language (and America):

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/woke-math-in-seattle/

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:36am:
This is not about protecting the illegals.  It is about those anchor babies growing up with citizenship and getting themselves elected into office.

The same shit is happening in part of Europe but even worse.  Muslim anchor babies are getting themselves voted into high positions and then they are basically proposing laws that seem innocent at first but actually open the door for more Muslims and then comes Sharia Law.

Lucky for us that we have a government designed to grant only a few specific, enumerated, powers to our government, so that proposing unconstitutional laws, or even enacting them, has no effect.

No matter who is elected to Congress, they are constrained by the Law of the Constitution. Smiley

What a great idea!

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:51am:
But they don't have any legitimate authority to infringe on people's right of free speech, and they certainly haven't been given the power to arbitrarily alter the meaning of words.

They might think they can do it, but they can't. Both Congress and SCOTUS have used the term "illegal alien".
There is a loophole in local Laws which gives NYC the authority and power to punish someone for intimidation of a person based on sex, color, race, gender, or immigration status.   

Yes,, both Congress and SCOTUS have used the term illegal alien, but not in malice.

New York City’s new guidance goes a step further, making it clear that evidence of “severity or pervasive” conduct is “only relevant to the damages” caused by said conduct. This leaves the door wide open for city officials to interpret politically incorrect statements as they see fit, stripping anti-discrimination statutes of objectivity and allowing bureaucrats and victims alike to claim subjective “damages”.

For example a storefront sign says:

NOW HIRING

(SORRY - WE CANNOT HIRE ILLEGAL ALIENS)

In this example, the term ILLEGAL ALIEN is merely for information, so it does not violate the NYC Law.  However, if the sign read:

NOW HIRING

(ILLEGAL ALIENS WHO APPLY WILL BE TURNED OVER TO ICE)

This is designed to intimidate illegals, and could be subject to a $250,000 fine.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:32am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:17am:
There is a loophole in local Laws which gives NYC the authority and power to punish someone for intimidation of a person based on sex, color, race, gender, or immigration status.   

I'm fine with preventing intimidation, but if you broke the law to enter the U.S., it's not "intimidation" to state that fact. "Illegal alien", when applied to a non-citizen who is here illegally, is just a true description of the person's legal status.

Will NYC next claim it intimidates thieves to call them thieves?

Edit: Isn't there a federal law that requires business owners to report illegal aliens to ICE?

There aren't any "loopholes" for NYC to supersede federal law.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:32am:
I'm fine with preventing intimidation, but if you broke the law to enter the U.S., it's not "intimidation" to state that fact. "Illegal alien", when applied to a non-citizen who is here illegally, is just a true description of the person's legal status.
Except when it isn't.

I gave you some very good examples of how and HOW NOT to use the term Illegal Alien.

I went through the trouble of using bold font and super-large letters.

Did you somehow miss it?   I'll assume you did.  Please re-read post #33. Keep re-reading it if necessary.

Its important for this to sink in.    

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:03am:
Except when it isn't.

I gave you some very good examples of how and HOW NOT to use the term Illiegal Alien.

I went through the trouble of using bold font and super-large letters.

Did you somehow miss it?   I'll assume you did.  Please re-read post #33. Keep re-reading it if necessary.

Its important for this to sink in.    
yeah, yeah, blah blah.

Is it intimidation to tell the police "That's the thief who just kidnapped my monkey!"?

Must we be concerned that the thief's feelings might be hurt? Should we concede that the thief has a right to kidnap monkeys? Perhaps the thief intends to liberate my monkey (who is a companion animal, necessary to my mental health and stability Smiley), but does that somehow make him not a thief?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:16am:
Is it intimidation to tell the police "That's the thief who just kidnapped my monkey!"?

Must we be concerned that the thief's feelings might be hurt? Should we concede that the thief has a right to kidnap monkeys? Perhaps the thief intends to liberate my monkey (who is a companion animal, necessary to my mental health and stability Smiley), but does that somehow make him not a thief?
How does any of this relate to using a term maliciously?

NYC is not saying don't utter the words Illegal Alien.  They are saying if you use those words to belittle or intimidate someone, you are in violation of anti-discrimination statutes, and subject to arrest and fines up to a quarter million dollars.

The law has passed and is in effect.  Supreme Court had a chance to block it, but they were compelled to look the other way.  Just like they did with 2nd Amendment infringements and 4th Amendment Red Flag and PATRIOT Act infringements.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:03pm:
How does any of this relate to using a term maliciously?

NYC is not saying don't utter the words Illegal Alien.  They are saying if you use those words to belittle or intimidate someone, you are in violation of anti-discrimination statutes, and subject to arrest and fines up to a quarter million dollars.

Right, and according to the language police, calling someone an "illegal alien" is demeaning and belittling in and of itself.

Somehow, calling them "undocumented immigrants" is better, probably because it doesn't imply that what they did to get here is illegal, which it is.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:03pm:
The law has passed and is in effect.  Supreme Court had a chance to block it...
How and when did SCOTUS have such a chance?

Has someone been charged with the "crime" and sued in court based on a violation of their 1st Amendment rights?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Using The Term "Illegal Alien" Could Cost You $250,000 In NY
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy