Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Democracy Is A Sham
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Democracy Is A Sham (Read 152 times)
BobK71
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Democracy Is A Sham
Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:23am
Print Post  
See: Democracy Is Now A Hindrance to the Imperial State

My take: we have voting, yes, but democracy only works if voters are not deliberately misinformed by what is considered the mainstream media.  In the same way that the freedom to comment against US participation in World War I was taken away by the Espionage Act of 1917, when things get serious, and voting becomes a real problem to the stability of the financial-imperial system, perhaps it too will be 'temporarily suspended.'

IP Logged

Industry
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Democracy Is A Sham
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Voting is just a way to measure what people want so if you have them all fooled you are not measuring that any more.

IP Logged

Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
The Libertarian way is to vote according to the land you own. Each land owner in a town gets to vote for a mayor. Privately owned towns. Same as shareholders vote their shares. Land owners could also vote for Governors if states were private but they aren't. Maybe in the future?

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Democracy is always incompatible with libertarianism.  Given the chance to vote on what government does, even indirectly, people will vote for a government that gives them things more so than a government which leaves them alone.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:53am:
Democracy is always incompatible with libertarianism.  Given the chance to vote on what government does, even indirectly, people will vote for a government that gives them things more so than a government which leaves them alone.

Then it seems to me that your problem is with the body of the People, not the government.

They're probably voting for handouts because they're staunch purist libertarians, and voting for handouts is not aggression.

I have never taken any kind of government handout in my life, and it's because I'm the least libertarian person on the site. Instead of me me me, I was taught to consider others first.

If that hadn't sunk in, I probably wouldn't care if I took handouts or not, and I definitely wouldn't care if I voted for them or not, since no one under the sun thinks it's wrong.

I have not done so because I am forced to follow more than the NAP. I have extra restrictions on my behaviour to make sure I don't violate your rights, even if I bamboozle up a way I can do it where I get the same result and it's not technically aggression.

Don't you wish you lived where everyone had those extra restrictions on their behaviour?

It's called Statism.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 12:02pm:
Then it seems to me that your problem is with the body of the People, not the government.

One of the goals of the founders was to strike a balance, so that the people could control their own government, but the government would also be able to control the people to prevent them from violating the rights of minorities.

That's why they created the federal system they did, so that the people's voice would be heard through the House, the voice of the states would be heard in the Senate, the President would have a veto, and the Supreme Court would be empowered to judge whether or not enacted laws fell within the grant of powers to Congress.

The idea is that if the people go temporarily insane, and their representatives follow them into trying to trample rights, the states have an opportunity to prevent them, and if the states go temporarily insane and decide to trample rights with laws introduced in the Senate, the People's House can stop them, and if both the people and the states go berserk, the President can veto their trampling of rights. As a last resort, the final bulwark protecting our liberties, SCOTUS can overturn unconstitutional trampling of rights and liberties.

The 17th Amendment went a long way towards destroying the effectiveness of that federal system, but that's to be expected when "progressives" want to make thing "more democratic". Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 2:24pm:
One of the goals of the founders was to strike a balance, so that the people could control their own government, but the government would also be able to control the people to prevent them from violating the rights of minorities.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 4:01pm:
I assume this means you couldn't understand what I said. Cry

I have to tell you, as a person of ordinary intellect, I'm tired of dumbing things down for supergeniuses, Vulcan or otherwise.

Edit: Jerkwad.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Democracy Is A Sham
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy