Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No libertarians agree on what is libertarian
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No libertarians agree on what is libertarian (Read 1436 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: No libertarians agree on what is libertarian
Reply #230 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Oh, I love sheep/lamb/goat.  It is one of the tastiest meats.  The Indians have a curried goat feet dish that is my favorite Indian food.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #231 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:02am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:53pm:
Where in the libertarian rule books does it say that a libertarian cannot be a racist?  And why do you want them to have to expose themselves?  So you can have them round up?

I said, several times now, that being a racist should not be punished by any law.

As I said, if you aren't allowed to speak freely, people won't know your a racist unless you act on it, and they hear about it, or see it personally, and closet racists might actually cause some real harm if civilized people don't keep an eye on them, and scorn them, and shun them, you know, try to nudge them out of being racists without involving the heavy hand of government.

Bunching racists together is a very bad idea. I think it best to have them scattered about very thinly. Smiley

No, I don't want the government to forcibly scatter them.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #232 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:05am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:10pm:
Prejudice, racism, and bigotry are not the same thing.
Similar enough that if you use any of those terms, people know exactly what you're talking about. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #233 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:06am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:10pm:
It has nothing to do with libertarianism. 

Also, how can I be a bigot towards animals?
You might hate housecats and torture and murder every one you see.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #234 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:08am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
Well, it's right there in black and white. The Libertarian Party condemns bigotry as irrational and repugnant. (Instead of, you know, letting the marketplace of ideas decide...)

The LP is putting that idea out into the marketplace of ideas. They support your right to disagree, and to argue for your own different ideas. Kiss

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #235 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:12am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:27pm:
OK, then you can't be a libertarian until you stop being a bigot against dogs.
Perfection is not required in order to be a libertarian. It's not at all like being a "progressive".

Prejudice/bigotry against groups of people is a strong indicator that you are not in fact any sort of libertarian, but you might, even as a bigot, have very libertarian views on political economy.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #236 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:13am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:34pm:
I'm going to stop trying to find logic in it and just brainwash myself. All animals are equal, no matter how they behave, and some are more equal than others.
That's very "progressive" sentiment.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #237 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Since we're talking about free speech:

https://reason.com/2019/11/04/in-debate-over-political-speech-online-facebook-ha...

From the article:

"The hypocrisy is overwhelming. Between May 2018 and November 1, 2019, Senator Elizabeth Warren's presidential campaign has spent $4,862,939 on Facebook ads, according to Facebook. This, while Warren complains publicly that "Facebook's own employees know just how dangerous their policy allowing politicians to lie in political ads will be for our democracy." If Facebook had followed Twitter's example and banned political ads, Warren would have had to find some other way to get her message out."

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #238 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 6:40am
Print Post  

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #239 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:02am:
Bunching racists together is a very bad idea. I think it best to have them scattered about very thinly. Smiley

So that... they can be as uncomfortable as possible and take it out on as many people as possible?

I want them bunched together. Wall them off. Since they're just xenophobic and lazy, they'll die out with no industrious minorities to muck out their gutters and shovel their driveways for them. And nobody else has to deal with their bullshit. What could be better?

Unless... you actually believe the bunched-up racists would flourish. If they did, you know that would prove they were actually being parasitised in some fashion, right?

Jeff wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:12am:
Prejudice/bigotry against groups of people is a strong indicator that you are not in fact any sort of libertarian,

Riiiiight.

When the argument of choice on this forum, more so than anywhere else in the world*, is, "You're not a libertarian!"

You spend more time arguing about who's a legitimate member of the tribe than discussing issues.

Libertarians that I have seen, are the most tribal, and most outgroup-hostile, people on the planet*.

*Maybe with the exception of those countries where you can still be killed for not believing in God.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No libertarians agree on what is libertarian
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy