Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Top Three Questions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Top Three Questions (Read 1236 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: My Top Three Questions
Reply #190 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:47am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:44am:
You'll

1) Ignore it
2) Misread it
3) Take it to hyperbole (see my last post)
4) Whine, bitch and moan about it
5) ODD bicker it
6) If Jeff said it, you'll say "libertarians" said it

Nowhere on the list of possibilities is there that you will process it for what he said

100%

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #191 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:42am:
You mean because I said "anything not illegal is legal in an absolute, Opposition sense of the word absolute?"

Bull shit, I just said "anything not illegal is legal" as a rule of thumb.  Nowhere did I say it was an absolute sort of thing.  You pulled that out of your ass.  Nothing I say is "absolute" unless I say it is, and I don't remember saying that ever on the board

You said "anything not illegal is legal" in a libertarian society.

My third question was specifically about that and you answered no. Everyone did.

Every day, there are probably thousands of outlier cases where someone does something bad that wasn't illegal. The government handles those edge cases by not convicting.

There is a protection, for the People, in the Constitution, that says the government can't punish you for something that wasn't explicitly illegal. Yes, it's absolute. The worst they can do is make a law and punish you next time.

I was asking whether a libertarian society would preserve that protection, or remove it.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #192 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:36am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:57am:

My third question was specifically about that and you answered no. Everyone did

And yet in our typical style, I meant it in a non "absolute" way and you took what I said to the hyperbolic extreme.  In a conversation ... where I'm calling your taking things to a hyperbolic extreme BS ...  Just the way you roll.  Bull shit over content.  For you, just another day ...

Note when you put that stupid shit in your posts, I tend to ignore your question.  I am not answering a question with a faulty premise.  Then again, you often not only take my answers to hyperbolic extreme, but you ignore them completely.  Like when I said I DO think most people on the board are libertarians.

If you cared about actual answers to your questions, you wouldn't riddle your questions with hyperbole and outright fraud.  But I'll answer this one.  If you want me to keep answering them, stop doing that.

An example of how things are settled would be say there was a car accident and a woman was paralyzed.  She sued two drivers and won $1M.  Both drivers were found at fault.   But how much do they each pay?  Well, they assign percentage blame.  Say one was determined to be 70% at fault and the other 30%.  The $1M would be divvied up proportionately.

You can't have a preset rule that if two are at fault they each by 50%, they probably weren't equally at fault

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #193 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:36am:
You can't have a preset rule that if two are at fault they each by 50%, they probably weren't equally at fault

No, but you could have a rule that if someone is not doing anything illegal, they can't be punished. The United States has this rule.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #194 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
No, but you could have a rule that if someone is not doing anything illegal, they can't be punished. The United States has this rule.

They can't by the criminal courts, that's true

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #195 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:50am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:57am:

My third question was specifically about that and you answered no. Everyone did.

Every day, there are probably thousands of outlier cases where someone does something bad that wasn't illegal. The government handles those edge cases by not convicting.

There is a protection, for the People, in the Constitution, that says the government can't punish you for something that wasn't explicitly illegal. Yes, it's absolute. The worst they can do is make a law and punish you next time.

I was asking whether a libertarian society would preserve that protection, or remove it.
The common law of torts deals with wrongs that aren't illegal.

Our common law predates the Constitution, and was not in any way eliminated by it...

Follow my rulebook, and you'll be OK. Smiley

BTW, it's juries that decide if an accused person is innocent, not the government.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #196 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:51am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
Where do you find it?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #197 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:50am:
The common law of torts deals with wrongs that aren't illegal.

Our common law predates the Constitution, and was not in any way eliminated by it...

Follow my rulebook, and you'll be OK. Smiley

That is Jeff's position on everything, in a nutshell.

Quote:
BTW, it's juries that decide if an accused person is innocent, not the government.

My any definition of the word government, members of a jury are part of the government, however temporary their membership may be.

They are often chosen for those temporary government position specifically because attorneys for one side or the other believe them to be poorly educated, low-functioning and easily duped.  A person on the other side, faced with such a low-intellect governing body with near total control of his life, is in a precarious position to say the least.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #198 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:56am:

My any definition of the word government, members of a jury are part of the government, however temporary their membership may be.

They are often chosen for those temporary government position specifically because attorneys for one side or the other believe them to be poorly educated, low-functioning and easily duped.  A person on the other side, faced with such a low-intellect governing body with near total control of his life, is in a precarious position to say the least.

Juries are by definition of the people, or citizens.  Calling them temporary government is irrelevant and meaningless besides being wrong

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #199 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:56am:

I thought you were accusing me of being so inconsistent that you couldn't figure out what my positions are?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Top Three Questions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy