Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Both Left And Right Lobby To Stifle Free Speech
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Both Left And Right Lobby To Stifle Free Speech (Read 1936 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Both Left And Right Lobby To Stifle Free Speech
Reply #100 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 3:15pm:
Jeff:  I have nothing, kaz.  I'm just going to repeat back to you what you said to me
kaz:  I still have nothing, Jeff.  I'm just going to parrot back to you what you say to me

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #101 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 4:03pm:
kaz:  I still have nothing, Jeff.  I'm just going to parrot back to you what you say to me

At least you're being honest now about what you are doing

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #102 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:18pm:
At least you're being honest now about what you are doing
Unlike you?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #103 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
The left is doing more than just lobbying, they are using the fear of ideas they have instilled in young people as a veto over free speech.

https://reason.com/2019/11/11/daily-northwestern-jeff-sessions-editorial-trigger...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #104 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Joe Biden joins the left's crusade to end free speech on the internet.

Section 230 provides immunity from liability for providers and users of an interactive computer service who publish information provided by others - it's about making the internet safe for both innovation and individual free speech - it's essentially the internet's 1st Amendment.

Creepy Joe wants to amend the Communications Decency Act of 1996, and strike section 230.

This would harm social media platforms.

KEEP. GOVERNMENT. OUT. OF. IT.      STAY AWAY JOE.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #105 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 8:18am:
The left is doing more than just lobbying, they are using the fear of ideas they have instilled in young people as a veto over free speech.

https://reason.com/2019/11/11/daily-northwestern-jeff-sessions-editorial-trigger...

Scanning for violations of life...
...none found.

Scanning for violations of property...
...none found.

Scanning for violations of liberty...
...none found unless bullying the newspaper with social pressure to change what they print is categorised as a violation of liberty.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #106 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 7:13am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 10:04pm:
Scanning for violations of life...
...none found.

Scanning for violations of property...
...none found.

Scanning for violations of liberty...
...none found unless bullying the newspaper with social pressure to change what they print is categorised as a violation of liberty.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/time-deceit-can-freedom-speech-endur...

An excerpt:

"In The American Spectator, Terry Heinrichs writes of the current conflict between feminism and the transgendered and their supporters, under an article titled “Transgenderism vs. Freedom of Expression.” Here the writer recounts case after case of restrictive speech laws now on the books in places like Virginia, California, New York, and Canada, laws promising fines and even imprisonment to those who criticize transgenders or who “mis-pronoun” them, even accidentally. British Columbian Meaghan Murphy was “repeatedly blocked out of her Twitter account because she refused to call a trans woman a woman.” "

And, a brief article that might help you understand how free markets really work:

https://fee.org/articles/what-the-the-survival-of-the-fittest-tropes-get-wrong-a...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #107 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 7:13am:
And, a brief article that might help you understand how free markets really work:

https://fee.org/articles/what-the-the-survival-of-the-fittest-tropes-get-wrong-a...

This is the idea I want to watch get tested with the XFL.

If the XFL fixes a lot of problems the NFL has and provides a better product, it will be a fine way to test this idea.

Will the entrenched NFL be able to throw its weight around and crush the XFL anyway, or will the better product really win?

I have three main issues I'm looking at the XFL to do better (and if it doesn't, then it won't make a good test):
1. Arbitrary penalties, especially holding and pass interference; referees deciding games
2. Despite the mechanics of the draft, the best teams seem to end up with the best new players which often get traded to them; good teams stay good and bad teams stay bad
3. Corruption, bounties on players, Patriots allowed to break the rules

Jeff wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 7:13am:
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/time-deceit-can-freedom-speech-endur...

An excerpt:

"In The American Spectator, Terry Heinrichs writes of the current conflict between feminism and the transgendered and their supporters, under an article titled “Transgenderism vs. Freedom of Expression.” Here the writer recounts case after case of restrictive speech laws now on the books in places like Virginia, California, New York, and Canada, laws promising fines and even imprisonment to those who criticize transgenders or who “mis-pronoun” them, even accidentally. British Columbian Meaghan Murphy was “repeatedly blocked out of her Twitter account because she refused to call a trans woman a woman.” "

And? Twitter is a private business. Yes, it will cause free speech not to be able to endure.

You tell me if this is wrong. Don't post articles and tell me to make up my own mind with the full intention of refuting whatever I say.

If you're going to refute anything I might say, which you've proven you can do, there's no point in me making up my own mind. Just tell me if Twitter is violating liberty by blocking people out of their accounts for refusing to call a trans woman a woman.

Don't dissemble. Don't bandy words. Should Twitter be supported in its right to control its own platform or should enforcing Newspeak be considered aggression, and a violation of liberty, however it is done?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #108 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 10:33am:
This is the idea I want to watch get tested with the XFL.

If the XFL fixes a lot of problems the NFL has and provides a better product, it will be a fine way to test this idea.

Will the entrenched NFL be able to throw its weight around and crush the XFL anyway, or will the better product really win?

If the NFL is supported by governments, who seem continually to be spending gobs of tax money to help rich team owners, then any new league will have a hard time of it.
Pick some example where rich owners aren't cronies of government if you want to test how free markets work.

Or just look at all the examples from history...

Remember the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Atlantic_%26_Pacific_Tea_Company

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #109 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 12:35pm:
If the NFL is supported by governments,

Tell me now if the market for the Human sport of Handegg is sufficiently unfree to cause market pressures not to work.

Shouting, "The government must have done it!" only after the result is seen is neither logical nor scientific.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Both Left And Right Lobby To Stifle Free Speech
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy