Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Take the "No Passive Voice" Challenge!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Take the "No Passive Voice" Challenge! (Read 538 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Take the "No Passive Voice" Challenge!
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:46am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 10:24pm:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the passive voice and overusing it is just an opinion.

It is just emphasizing action!

It's not just an opinion.  Writing in passive voice comes off as far more dry and boring than active voice.  If you're writing stories and overusing the passive voice, then you are putting your readers to sleep

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
As I'm sure you know, the "passive voice" is a grammatical sentence construction in which the subject of the sentence, is not named and is not the doer of the verb, but rather the object of the verb.

For example, "The car was abandoned," instead of "Someone abandoned the car."  In that example, either one is fine, really, because the speaker in fact does not know who abandoned the car.

If someone calls the police and says, "My boss was murdered," and the caller was the murderer, that is intellectual dishonesty (plus murder).  That is how the passive voice is used for dishonest purposes.   I know that no one on here goes that far, as far as I know.

If people sitting at a table get the check and say, "Well, this check needs to be paid," "yes, it must be paid immediately," "It certainly should be paid right away!" that is about the level of dishonesty we get from the tax-and-spenders on here.  "Children need to be educated," "the country must be defended," "government must be funded," or "medical care must be provided," are all ways that they attempt to force the focus onto the benefits  and ignore the costs by ignoring who will pay them.

I think we would be surprised at how often we would rethink our posts if we had to say, "workers must pay for the profits of defense contractors," or "the healthy, will pay for the medical care of the sick," "the childless should give a percent of the value of the land they saved and scrimped to pay for so that the children of pothead parents can go to a public school that fails to provide even the most basic of education."

I'm not asking that we give it up entirely.  Some of you will have a hard time posting without it.  Can this month belatedly be named "no passive voice November?"  Damn, I did it myself.

If I can quit, you can quit!

LBM:  Government is a death pact!  Die mfers, die! 

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 6:43am:
That is exactly correct.

The statists on here use the passive voice to feign lack of knowledge about who must pay for their grandiose schemes.

Fortunately, I do tell you to go fvck yourself when you write this stupid shit rather than just saying you should be fvcked for writing this stupid shit.  You're welcome

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 4th, 2019 at 10:31pm:
Editors don't like it. Sometimes I think they send each other memos about what little pet peeve they're going to develop next to preserve their perceived usefulness in the face of ever-advancing word processors.

Obsolete! Obsolete! Obsolete!

I like to use it to emphasise a character's lack of knowledge about the situation.

Editors don't like it because readers don't read it because it's dull and dry.  I can't believe you don't know that.  You haven't mentioned it once

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:40am:
Your challenge is accepted, sir!

Do you not see how this sounds better?!

An honourable archetype character who we might imagine making this statement is not going to be using a lot of I, I, I. It sounds bad. He's also not going to be using a lot of you, you, you, because it sounds accusatory and perhaps even vaguely impolite. He'll switch when he intends to be accusatory, however.

kaz wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 9:46am:
It's not just an opinion.  Writing in passive voice comes off as far more dry and boring than active voice.  If you're writing stories and overusing the passive voice, then you are putting your readers to sleep

I don't disagree with this. However, I still think that in some situations, the passive voice is the better choice.

This is the reason this challenge is going to be good for me. It'll get me thinking about it every time I do it, which I ought to be.

Just FYI though, the editors all used to have a bug up their asses about starting a sentence with a conjunction, but that seems to have been forgotten about.

GAH!

I was trying to emphasise, subtly, that concepts don't just forget about themselves. Maybe we're looking at an industry decision.

And maybe I'm just paranoid about the memos editors send each other detailing the next subject of their wrath.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:47am:
Do you not see how this sounds better?!

An honourable archetype character who we might imagine making this statement is not going to be using a lot of I, I, I. It sounds bad. He's also not going to be using a lot of you, you, you, because it sounds accusatory and perhaps even vaguely impolite. He'll switch when he intends to be accusatory, however.

Your point is noted.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
An honourable archetype character who we might imagine making this statement is not going to be using a lot of I, I, I. It sounds bad. He's also not going to be using a lot of you, you, you, because it sounds accusatory and perhaps even vaguely impolite
I think you are a dolt.

Is that too passive?

If I shouldn't use "I" or "you", I guess I should say... What?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Maybe we're looking at an industry decision.

Yes, I suspect a cabal of editors engaged in monopolistic practices... Are they unionized?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Take the "No Passive Voice" Challenge!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy