Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Priviliges and Immunities
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Priviliges and Immunities (Read 641 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Priviliges and Immunities
Reply #70 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 10:04am:
So, there are no rights other than those specified in the constitution?

What leads you to that erroneous conclusion?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #71 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:03pm:
I think so, but the violation, which I assume is at the behest of the local community, where Baptists and bootleggers might hold sway, seems less serious than for a state to deny equal rights to everyone in the state, and the Constitutional prohibition is against states violating rights, not local communities.

I do not think that local communities can constitutionally allow slavery, do you?

Quote:
As always, it's tricky when rights are in competition.

Do the people of a local community have a right to pass ordinances that they believe to be for the health and safety of everyone in the community? Does your asserted right to be able to buy alcohol in the community you live in trump that right?

Is "they believe" the only standard?  So, they have a community-based right to pass a law requiring me to eat my peas for my health and safety, and I would need to argue that my right to avoid peas trumps their right  to force me to eat them?

In a community with five hundred bootleggers and five hundred Baptists, and one honest whiskey seller, I say that all thousand of them do not have the right to vote for whiskey to be illegal, but I do have a right to legally sell it.

Naturally, if they do not pass a law banning whiskey, the bootleggers themselves become my honest competitors and of course the Baptists are free to "sell" me on abstinence so long as they do not drag me into the church.  See how the free market solves such "conflicts of rights" much better than government does?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #72 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:04pm:
Well?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #73 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  

Little Big Man wrote Today at 10:04am:
Quote:
So, there are no rights other than those specified in the constitution?

Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:04pm:

The fact that I have never seen you claim that an individual has any right that cannot be taken away by a local or state government unless that right is specified in the U.S. Constitution. 

I call it "Jeff's doctrine of enumerated rights."

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #74 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 4:59pm:
Little Big Man wrote Today at 10:04am:

The fact that I have never seen you claim that an individual has any right that cannot be taken away by a local or state government unless that right is specified in the U.S. Constitution. 

Hmm, the fact that I constantly say that individuals are free do do anything they want, by right, just so long as they respect the equal rights of others, doesn't matter?

OK, I suppose as far as local governments are concerned, you are not quite that free... That's your complaint, that you moved into a dry county where your property is taxed to fund the local police and courts, and schools?

You consider that to be such a burden on your liberty, that you want to abolish government entirely? Do I understand you correctly?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #75 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 5:34pm:
Hmm, the fact that I constantly say that individuals are free do do anything they want, by right, just so long as they respect the equal rights of others, doesn't matter?

OK, I suppose as far as local governments are concerned, you are not quite that free... That's your complaint, that you moved into a dry county where your property is taxed to fund the local police and courts, and schools?

You consider that to be such a burden on your liberty, that you want to abolish government entirely? Do I understand you correctly?

Gosh, Jeff.  All you gotta do to prove the Big Man wrong is just name a whole buncha rights that you don't believe local governments can ever take away even though they ain't in the Constitution!

Go ahead, make his day . . . 

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #76 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 5:34pm:

Coming from you, the emphasised bit means, "Read the fine print, loser. This contract means you give up everything and get nothing. I'm the best %$#&ing wheel-and-dealer alive! Yeah!"

You will always have a reason someone else does not get what they want.

You will always have a reason you get what you want.

Principles to a libertarian are like keys, used to gain access to resources and then, when you want to open a different door, you will simply pick up a different key and use that one. The keys have no significance to you but that they open the door.

This should come as no surprise to someone who understands that libertarians do not have to keep their word unless the exact right wording is used, even in a contract.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #77 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 6:45pm:
Gosh, Jeff.  All you gotta do to prove the Big Man wrong is just name a whole buncha rights that you don't believe local governments can ever take away even though they ain't in the Constitution!

Go ahead, make his day . . . 

Did the two of you discuss that while you were using the same toothbrush?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #78 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 9:08am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
You will always have a reason you get what you want.

I hope so, because what I want is maximized individual liberty in a civilized society. Smiley

I keep supposing that it is self-evident that there are inevitable tensions that arise between complete liberty for individuals, and the maintenance of a civilized society...

I understand that anyone who constantly demands "absolutes" won't be able to see that compromises are necessary on both sides if you want to maximize liberty and sustain a civilized society.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #79 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
Principles to a libertarian are like keys, used to gain access to resources and then, when you want to open a different door, you will simply pick up a different key and use that one. The keys have no significance to you but that they open the door

We believe in negative rights, not positive rights.  You're stupid as shit.  I keep asking you to name "libertarians" not named Jeff who declared a positive right (you can't) and what positive rights they are claiming (you can't).  You can't because you're pulling it out of your ass.  You're almost as big a libertarian troll as LBM.  When you're called on your lies, you just keep repeating them anyway

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Priviliges and Immunities
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy