Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian sex
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian sex (Read 425 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian sex
Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 8:04pm:
Is it the libertarian thing to do?  The Chief sounds horny too.
Since you're headed off to Japan, Mom wants to know if the Chief could fill in (so to speak) for you until you get back?

Do ancient shriveled crones turn the Chief on too?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 7:14pm:
Is incest between consenting father and daughter, mother and son acceptable to libertarians?

The only reason it's seen as wrong is firstly the disproportionate power the parent has over the child, and secondly the undeveloped mind of the child, and so, the logic goes, it's not really consent.

(I am scrolling down to the last 10 replies and seeing that this thread degenerated into smut exceptionally quickly.)

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 6:13am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:32pm:
The only reason it's seen as wrong is firstly the disproportionate power the parent has over the child, and secondly the undeveloped mind of the child, and so, the logic goes, it's not really consent.

(I am scrolling down to the last 10 replies and seeing that this thread degenerated into smut exceptionally quickly.)
I think yamcha clarified that he was asking about incest between adults, so both parties can consent. I don't know that parents still have disproportionate power over their children when the children are adults.

Anyway, whether libertarians are as likely to accept incest between adults as are "progressives" seems relatively unimportant.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 6:13am:
I think yamcha clarified that he was asking about incest between adults, so both parties can consent. I don't know that parents still have disproportionate power over their children when the children are adults.

They don't, necessarily. But around 25-30% of millennials live with their parents mainly due to skyrocketing cost of housing. In many places, even a full time working couple cannot ever hope to afford a house if both make minimum wage.

If the child has nowhere to go, and the parent tells the child to blow him or she's out on the street, I imagine you would consider this the same as you do for an employer doing the same thing, and you'd be consistent in this situation.

Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 6:13am:
Anyway, whether libertarians are as likely to accept incest between adults as are "progressives" seems relatively unimportant.

It seems extremely relevant to me, because it's a perfect issue to test whether you really believe in liberty or whether you believe others should be free, but only as long as it doesn't disgust you.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 11:12am
Print Post  

Actually neither of those are the biggest reason.  The biggest reason is that we evolved to consider incest as an abomination because the children could not compete against healthy children.  Survival of the fittest.

That's the problem with the question.  Should consenting adults be able to have sex if they are related?  Yes, but ...  The but is children, who would be a victim.  So it's not as simple as a yes or no.  And the chance that the rubber broke made them no less of a victim

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  

If the parent says "Give me head or you must find another place to live.", and the child agrees, that is not consent. That is coercion.

Coercion is aggression, and aggression is wrong.  To a libertarian, this is obvious.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:53am:
They don't, necessarily. But around 25-30% of millennials live with their parents mainly due to skyrocketing cost of housing. In many places, even a full time working couple cannot ever hope to afford a house if both make minimum wage.

If the child has nowhere to go, and the parent tells the child to blow him or she's out on the street, I imagine you would consider this the same as you do for an employer doing the same thing, and you'd be consistent in this situation.

My complaint with "blowing the boss" is that it wasn't consensual. If it is consensual, I have no problem. But, as you point out, in situations where the alternative is seen as worse, and one party has power over the other, people will "consent" to do things they would not ordinarily consent to.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:53am:
It seems extremely relevant to me, because it's a perfect issue to test whether you really believe in liberty or whether you believe others should be free, but only as long as it doesn't disgust you.
Who said I find incest between consenting adults disgusting?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 11:12am:
The biggest reason is that we evolved to consider incest as an abomination because the children could not compete against healthy children.
You made that up.

It wasn't evolution that created the general prohibition on incest, it was observation and learning over centuries. People noticed that too much inbreeding produced defectives.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #29 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 1:49pm:
You made that up.

It wasn't evolution that created the general prohibition on incest, it was observation and learning over centuries. People noticed that too much inbreeding produced defectives.

Jeff:  You're completely wrong kaz.  And I agree with you because you're right.

So are you still seeing spiders crawl up your arms, Jeff?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian sex
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy