Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Would You Re-write The Second Amendment?
Poll
Poll Question: Should the 2nd Amendment be amended?

« Last Modified by: SkyChief on: Nov 17th, 2019 at 2:13pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How Would You Re-write The Second Amendment? (Read 2202 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

How Would You Re-write The Second Amendment?
Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Most people agree that Amendment II is poorly written.  It's meaning and intent is too ambiguous. We need legal experts to decipher it.

Here's your chance to amend the Amendment so it is crystal clear to all Americans - not just legal experts sitting on the Supreme Court.

Here's mine:

Each individual's Right to buy, sell, possess, and carry firearms shall not be infringed IN ANY WAY. 

Any Lawmaker who proposes infringements on this Right shall be publicly hanged on the steps of the Capitol building.

That's pretty clear, I think.  A 5th grader could understand its meaning. It would put an end to idiotic gun-control laws.

Post YOUR amended 2nd Amendment!

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: How Would You Re-write The Second Amendment?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:00pm:
Most people agree that Amendment II is poorly written.  It's meaning and intent is too ambiguous. We need legal experts to decipher it.

Here's your chance to amend the Amendment so it is crystal clear to all Americans - not just legal experts sitting on the Supreme Court.

Here's mine:

Each individual's Right to buy, sell, possess, and carry firearms shall not be infringed IN ANY WAY. 

Any Lawmaker who proposes infringements on this Right shall be publicly hanged on the steps of the Capitol building.

That's pretty clear, I think.  A 5th grader could understand its meaning. It would put an end to idiotic gun-control laws.

I think it's perfectly clear as written.   Militias were of the people.  That they gave government a "right" in the Bill of Rights is idiotic.  Yeah, government wanted to ensure that no one could take away its guns.  That's what they meant.  The founding fathers of course put that all through their writings, OMG, OMG, what if government didn't have guns?!?
We have to make sure that never, ever happens!!! 

I don't think no matter how you rewrite it, disingenuous gun grabbers won't twist it to mean what they want, just like they do every other amendment

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:31pm:
I don't think no matter how you rewrite it, disingenuous gun grabbers won't twist it to mean what they want, just like they do every other amendment

They might think twice with my proposed clause b:

There's not a lot of no wiggle-room there.

It's very clear that any proposed gun control measures will result in death for the lawmaker.

Come to think of it, a more fitting punishment would be death by firing quad.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:55pm:
They might think twice with my proposed clause b:

There's not a lot of no wiggle-room there.

It's very clear that any proposed gun control measures will result in death for the lawmaker.

Come to think of it, a more fitting punishment would be death by firing quad.

I do like the irony of the firing squad

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
added poll

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I would have it say "Because an armed populace will enable the prevention of tyranny, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
"Because an armed populace will enable the prevention of tyranny, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This is good because it explains the reason WHY our right to keep and bear arms should be protected.

But it still doesn't mention the Right to buy, sell, and transfer firearms.  The gun-grabbers could still make laws which would prevent you from giving (or receiving) a gun as a gift.

And they would make laws which would preclude firearms from being inherited, or won in a lawsuit settlement. 

Also, it would preclude firearms being offered as an award or prize.

Please vote in the poll.   Smiley

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
This is good because it explains the reason WHY our right to keep and bear arms should be protected.

But it still doesn't mention the Right to buy, sell, and transfer firearms.  The gun-grabbers could still make laws which would prevent you from giving (or receiving) a gun as a gift.

And they would make laws which would preclude firearms from being inherited, or won in a lawsuit settlement. 

Also, it would preclude firearms being offered as an award or prize.

Please vote in the poll.   Smiley

The commerce clause CLEARLY states that it refers only to interstate commerce, and yet the Federal government flagrantly uses it to regulate local businesses.  It's even used incredibly as the justification for Federal drug laws.  You can't write it clearly enough.

And not only that, but the commerce clause was given to the Federal government to ENABLE free trade between the States, not for the Federal government to just have a power.

Obviously we agree on the material meaning of the second amendment.  I'm just arguing the problem isn't the wording and that it can't be worded clearly enough for the Federal government to read it.

The government can take your property without even charging you with a crime now in violation of the 5th amendment, government can take your property and give it to another citizen even though the Constitution says eminent domain is for public use, they can monitor your bank transactions without a warrant.

Do you really believe Chief the problem is how they phrased all that?

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:00pm:

Here's mine:

I like it!

Perhaps the venue of the hanging could depend on the level of the lawmaker.  U.S. Congressmen would be hanged in DC, state lawmakers at their capital building and local tyrants dispatched at city hall or the county courthouse.

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  

Jeff wrote Today at 1:28pm:
Quote:
"Because an armed populace will enable the prevention of tyranny, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

SkyChief wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 2:11pm:

For once, I have to disagree with you, Chief.

Our existing 2nd amendment explains why our right to keep and bear arms should be protected.  Unfortunately, that explanation has been used by the anti-gun crowd to say that we only have the right to keep and bear arms if we are in a well organized militia.  They have an argument, there. 

As far as I know, none of the other nine amendments in the bill of rights have an explanation of why the rights are important. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Would You Re-write The Second Amendment?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy