Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › All roads lead to Rome
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) All roads lead to Rome (Read 301 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: All roads lead to Rome
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 7:45am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 7:35pm:
It seems all forms of government, including Libertarianism, eventually will degrade or evolve to big government or even tyranny.

"Libertarianism" is not a form of government.

The founders mentioned "constant vigilance".

Ben Franklin, asked what form of government the Convention had delivered answered "A Republic, if you can keep it."

The destruction of our form of government came almost at a single stroke, when the New Deal Court interpreted the commerce and general welfare clauses as grants of unlimited power, and it was destroyed without the approval of the People. Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 8:02pm:
Don't worry about acceptance from other libertarians.

That's easy for you to say when you have it. If everyone thinks I'm a Nazi, then I'm a Nazi.

You know, I get more flak for being racist than Yamcha does, because Yamcha is a dominant dog.

I've tried saying A. I've tried saying not-A. I get laughed at and called a totalitarian for either. It doesn't matter to you what someone's views are. Don was a communist and he was respected as more highly libertarian than me by almost everyone.

Don said people shouldn't be allowed to do things all the time. So does every Libertarian here (but I never have to my recollection). In fact I've never been told I should be allowed to do something except commit suicide.

Does Libertarian just mean bully? It's pretty obvious that only ridiculing and shouting down others gets the kind of respect I want - the kind of respect Jeff has. He has never lost an argument.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 6:05am:
Fukk.  You hire the spics to scrub the toilet and now they report you for what you do in your garage?
I know, right?

Only in California.

In some parts of Arizona, soccer moms open carry.  Nobody bats an eye.

But I work on my firearm inside my own home and I'm reported to the authorities.

The Opposition wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:46am:
Does Libertarian just mean bully? It's pretty obvious that only ridiculing and shouting down others gets the kind of respect I want - the kind of respect Jeff has.

Libertarian does NOT mean bully.     Libertarian means self-ownership, limited government, and natural rights (life, liberty, property).

[Jeff] has never lost an argument.

He has lost plenty - he just doesn't realize it.   Smiley

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Does Libertarian just mean bully?
Are you trying to redefine it as that?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 11:52am:
You're free to think I'm delusional Chief. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
But I work on my firearm inside my own home and I'm reported to the authorities.

If you know a purely voluntary organisation can become so horribly tyrannical, why are you so insistent that voluntarism will make the world better?

It seems to me that power, however legitimately it is had, still corrupts. People engage in doxxing because they have the power to get others fired, whether that power is defined as aggression or not.

Libertarian does NOT mean bully.     Libertarian means self-ownership, limited government, and natural rights (life, liberty, property).

It just seems to work out that way. Libertarians seem to delight in the power to tell others no. They certainly delight in telling me no; I've never been told yes by the real heavy-hitters.

Neither do I. His definitional trump cards simply do not lose, and he wins one side of an argument just as easily as the other.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:03pm:
It just seems to work out that way. Libertarians seem to delight in the power to tell others no. They certainly delight in telling me no; I've never been told yes by the real heavy-hitters.

Jeff doesn't pretend to be libertarian.   He has stated many times in this forum that he is a "classic liberal".

This admission is honorable, in my opinion.

A classic liberal may hold some libertarian ideals.  - yes. 

But a classic liberal is not necessarily libertarian.

A classic liberal believes that government should have the power/authority to take wealth by force.

Obviously, libertarians do not.

"Since we believe that every man is entitled to keep the fruits of his labor, we are opposed to all government activity which consists of the forcible collection money or goods from citizens in violation of their individual rights. Specifically, we support the eventual repeal of all taxation."  - LP

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:26pm:
A classic liberal believes that government should have the power/authority to take wealth by force.

A tiger is wealth.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/wealth?s=t

Definition 3.

Look, I'm not arguing this. I swear I'm not.

But every Libertarian supports reasonable reasonable restrictions on property.

It's just that anything I want seems to mysteriously find its way into those exact cracks.

That's where I'm getting bully.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 6:51am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:26pm:
Jeff doesn't pretend to be libertarian.   He has stated many times in this forum that he is a "classic liberal".

This admission is honorable, in my opinion.

A classic liberal may hold some libertarian ideals.  - yes. 

But a classic liberal is not necessarily libertarian.

"Since we believe that every man is entitled to keep the fruits of his labor, we are opposed to all government activity which consists of the forcible collection money or goods from citizens in violation of their individual rights. Specifically, we support the eventual repeal of all taxation."  - LP

I'm assuming you mean income taxes again and you don't know what the hell you're talking about since tariffs and sales taxes and indirect taxes are still taxes. 

But just to point out, the founding fathers, who were the actual classic liberals, said NO income taxes.  It wasn't them who implemented it a hundred and fifty years later.  Other than the brief income tax the tyrant Lincoln implemented that the courts rightly struck down.  It's really hard to have a proper war where you conquer your own citizens without taxing income

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 19th, 2019 at 6:51am:
I'm assuming you mean income taxes again and you don't know what the hell you're talking about since tariffs and sales taxes and indirect taxes are still taxes. 

Indirect taxes can be avoided.   If you don't want to pay the Federal Gasoline Tax, drive a Tesla.  Or ride a bike.

Direct taxes cannot be avoided.  If you own property (in most states), you must pay a tax.   If you have a job and get paid with dollars, you must pay a tax.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › All roads lead to Rome
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy