Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Screening Out Votes
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Screening Out Votes (Read 461 times)
Industry
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Screening Out Votes
Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
To anyone who thinks you should screen out votes somehow by quiz questions or by owning property I want to ask you something.

Do you think the really good people should be able to get an extra vote maybe even more than 1 extra?

Like if you think to go by questions what about people like Opposition his brain is a computer he will answer any question you got if you think can answer 2 questions should be an extra vote over can answer 0 then I think if you can answer 200 questions all increasing difficulty why not get 100 votes then?

Or if you think only land owners should vote how big a land do you have to own cause if it is just yes or no do you own land they will sell 1-inch sq plots oh look you get a vote now. So my question is if it goes by land why should the guy who owns 1 house get as many votes as the guy who owns 10,000 sq miles he should 100 votes right?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Screening Out Votes
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Three years ago, I proposed a simple way to screen bad votes:   A Voter Proficiency Exam, later condensed to a Voter Proficiency Quiz, because it would be only 4 or 5 questions.

The idea was simple.  Everyone gets to vote, so nobody feels disenfranchised.  Everyone who goes to the polls receives a nifty I VOTED sticker after dropping their ballot in the box.

However, to have their ballot counted, all 4 or 5 quiz questions must be answered correctly.

All Voter Proficiency Quiz questions are available on sample ballots, so there are no surprises when its time to enter the polling booth.   The voter knows exactly which questions he/she will need to answer.

It's a brilliant idea, so naturally everyone on this forum downplayed and mocked it.   

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1478104325/40

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Industry

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I do not mock your idea I just want to know if you think people who can answer more questuons than that should get bonus votes.

You say people who know a little bit are qualified to vote OK I agree people who know even more are even more qualified give em bonus votes.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Industry wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:46pm:
I do not mock your idea I just want to know if you think people who can answer more questuons than that should get bonus votes.

You say people who know a little bit are qualified to vote OK I agree people who know even more are even more qualified give em bonus votes.

The true beauty of the Voter Proficiency Quiz is in its simplicity.

No extra votes, no door prizes, no achievement awards.

Answer the quiz questions correctly, and your ballot is counted.   So simple.

Many voters proclaimed "I'm voting for Hillary because she's a woman.  It's about time we had a woman president."

These voters don't care what a crook she is, or about her poor judgement in state affairs.   They only care that she's not male. 

These are "bad" votes.  The quiz will weed out (hopefully most of) these bad votes.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Industry

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:50pm:
No extra votes,

OK but why not? You want to bring a good world right get more good votes and less stupid votes?

You say it brings a good world to get rid of the stupid votes even Opposition says it would he just thinks its evil.

So I was thinking OK compromise not take away anybody's vote just give them 2 if they can answer questions.

But we can get an even better world if the votes of the very best count even more you don't think that's wrong I know you don't it is the same thing just more of what you ask for it would be even better right?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Industry wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
To anyone who thinks you should screen out votes somehow by quiz questions or by owning property I want to ask you something.

Do you think the really good people should be able to get an extra vote maybe even more than 1 extra?

Really good people (like me) should be the only people allowed to vote at all. Everybody will tell you the same... Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Industry wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:58pm:
But we can get an even better world if the votes of the very best count even more you don't think that's wrong I know you don't it is the same thing just more of what you ask for it would be even better right?

I object to "extra" votes because it smacks of elitism.

IP Logged

Industry

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm:

Is 1 vote an extra over 0?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
Three years ago, I proposed a simple way to screen bad votes:   A Voter Proficiency Exam, later condensed to a Voter Proficiency Quiz, because it would be only 4 or 5 questions.

I believe I said I might be interested if you made people take the test given to people wanting to become U.S. Citizens.

Make the "quiz" too easy, and everybody would go into the test with a crib sheet, or with the answers memorized just prior to the test. no doubt Community Organizers would be available to help those who most needed the help, like people who dropped out of school without even learning to read.

I still like my idea better. If you paid federal taxes last year on money that you earned, or on an income derived from property that you earned, you get to vote. The idea being to have productive people voting for representatives who will not be eager to redistribute the taxes paid by productive people. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm:
My plan on the other hand is based on merit, and a meritocracy is a good way to choose representatives.

Perhaps the idea could be expanded so that no one can run for office unless they paid federal taxes the prior year on money that they earned, or on incomes from property they earned. This would eliminate people living on inherited wealth alone.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Screening Out Votes
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy