Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How should USA (United States of America) Constitution be amended?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How should USA (United States of America) Constitution be amended? (Read 792 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How should USA (United States of America) Constitution be amended?
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
a. The the supreme court of the united stated shall be composed of 9 justices, appointed by the President of the United States with the advice and consent of the Senate.  Each Justice shall serve a term of 18 years, justices shall be appointed every 2 years.

b. This amendment shall take effect one year after the next election for the house of representatives, the longest serving justice shall retire at that time, the next longest serving just shall retire and be replaced after that, all servings justices shall retire every subsequent 2 years.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:24pm:
... justices shall be appointed every 2 years ...

I'm not clear what you mean by this.

Edit:  OK, I think I get it.  You're assuming if no justice ever steps down, then one justice would be forced to retire and one new justice would be added every two years.  That would be an 18 year cycle.

So what happens if a justice retires/dies?  How would you get back to the 18 year cycle?  Would the replacement judge just be appointed to complete the justice's they are replacing's 18 year term?
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2019 at 2:16pm by kaz »  

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Industry
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
I'm not clear what you mean by this

He means treat justices like food on store shelves stock them into the back maintain freshness.

It is so you do not get old rotten ones tht sat in there for like 150 years and went bad lol.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:24pm:
a. The the supreme court of the united stated shall be composed of 9 justices, appointed by the President of the United States with the advice and consent of the Senate.  Each Justice shall serve a term of 18 years, justices shall be appointed every 2 years.

b. This amendment shall take effect one year after the next election for the house of representatives, the longest serving justice shall retire at that time, the next longest serving just shall retire and be replaced after that, all servings justices shall retire every subsequent 2 years. 
I think it's a good idea, but justices should be replaced as they are forced to retire.

I'm also a bit confused by this- "...all servings justices shall retire every subsequent 2 years."

I think you mean all justices serving at the time the amendment is adopted, who have met or exceeded the 18 year limit? Longest serving first to leave?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
The language can be massaged i'm sure but the idea is that the current justices would be force out and replaced, one every two years starting with the longest serving. 

The retirements and appointments would be on years without federal elections, or odd numbered years. 

Year 1:Thomas,
Year 3: Ginsburg,
Year 5: Breyer
and so on. 

kaz wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
So what happens if a justice retires/dies?  How would you get back to the 18 year cycle?  Would the replacement judge just be appointed to complete the justice's they are replacing's 18 year term?

I'm not entirely sure.  I think perhaps a temporary replacement until that justices term would otherwise end, as you said.  That's probably the easiest way to handle it.  The alternative is you reset all the positions.  So if its a justice who's term is up in 6 years, the justices who's terms are up in 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 would all have slightly shorter terms. 

The benefit would be that every president would get at least two, which would hopefully mean that folks wouldn't freak out about supreme court nominations and vote for presidents based on other criteria.  There might have to be something in there to force the senate to vote though.  Perhaps, "any nominee that has not been approved by congress with 9 months of the nomination would automatically be seated"?

Might include a similar term limit for the rest of the federal judiciary too. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:32pm:
The language can be massaged i'm sure but the idea is that the current justices would be force out and replaced, one every two years starting with the longest serving. 

The retirements and appointments would be on years without federal elections, or odd numbered years. 

Year 1:Thomas,
Year 3: Ginsburg,
Year 5: Breyer
and so on. 

The benefit would be that every president would get at least two, which would hopefully mean that folks wouldn't freak out about supreme court nominations and vote for presidents based on other criteria.  There might have to be something in there to force the senate to vote though.  Perhaps, "any nominee that has not been approved by congress with 9 months of the nomination would automatically be seated"?

I agree, and I like it up until this:

"any nominee that has not been approved by congress with 9 months of the nomination would automatically be seated".

Edit: It gives the President unnecessary, and unforeseen (I think) power over Congress.

Nobody thinks it's a good idea to give Obama/Trump a free pass on appointments to the Supreme Court.

Hardly anyone voted for either of them.

It's the Presidents job to propose, and Congress' power to dispose.

What a great idea!

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:39pm:
I agree, and I like it up until this:

"any nominee that has not been approved by congress with 9 months of the nomination would automatically be seated".

I'm not tied to it, I just think there needs to be some mechanism to force a recalcitrant congress to act on a president nominee to maintain the system.  Based on the merrick garland nomination and none approval.  Do have an idea that prevent that?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:41pm:
I'm not tied to it, I just think there needs to be some mechanism to force a recalcitrant congress to act on a president nominee to maintain the system.  Based on the merrick garland nomination and none approval.  Do have an idea that prevent that?
Let them stew in their own juices? I think that best. We are safest when they oppose themselves into complete standstills.... (Edit 2: It's when the get into bipartisan agreement mode that we get crappity smacked really hard...)

On domestic matters of course. Smiley

Edit: If SCOTUS only has eight justices, and they are ideologically evenly divided on everything, they won't be able to make any bad decisions, or worse yet any bad "rulings". Shocked

Mostly, with only eight justices, I think we got pretty good decisions, overall.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 25th, 2019 at 5:41pm:

I'm not sure why it needs to be avoided.  Garland was a no from the Senate.  I don't see a material difference between actually voting no and not voting because there aren't the votes to confirm.  You just want the no vote on the record?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Amending USA Constitution Amendments II & XVI ?
Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I’m not preferring to have Amendment II to allow only you and I to keep and bear Arm(s) ; you’ll notice that I said every hubeing, not two hubeings.  Here’s what my multiparty friend chip burcham recommended to Bill Weld:

Quote:
Have you thought about having a more proportional Department Homleand Security terror color code system regarding gun control "red" flag laws?  I was thinking:

Blue for hubeing(s) that can reasonably carry and use gun(s) , and remember that during the USA (non)Civil War, the Union Army wore blue uniforms.

Green for hubeing(s) that voluntarily seek treatment for mental illness(es) like depression, schizophrenia, etc.

Yellow for hubeing(s) that have made threat(s) of violence, and in USA Armed Forces, there've been fights and gunshots amongst USA Armed Forces Hubeings.

Orange for hubeing(s) that have done illegal violence knowingly and willfully , but no antijust killing of hubeing(s) or pet(s) .

Red for hubeing(s) that have done illegal killing(s) knowingly and willfully and antijustly of hubeing(s) or pet(s) .

Amendment II could perhaps say: "Every free State's Militia shall be well regulated to provide necessary security to respectively every free State that respective said Militia is of respective said free State; and the right of every hubeing, that is of responsible willpower and of responsible mindset and of responsible emotional stability and of responsible skill of using Arm(s) , may respectively keep and bear said Arm(s) without ever any one, some, or all infringements.  As for personal firearm(s) , the right of every hubeing, that is of responsible willpower and of responsible mindset and of responsible emotional stability and of responsible skill of using Arm(s) , may eventually respectively keep and bear said personal firearm(s) without ever any one, some, or all infringements provided that respectively every said hubeing doesn’t disproportionately receive one or more malconduct card(s) (yellow, orange, or red) in an amount of time that 2/3 of Congress legislates.

SkyChief, Amendment XVI could perhaps say: Congress shall have the power to make as necessary: obligatory money investments into the United States (of America) Treasury provided that at least three fifths of legislatures of all United States (of America) States knowingly and willfully agree to said obligatory investments into the United States (of America) Treasury.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How should USA (United States of America) Constitution be amended?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy