Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › High Speed Rail
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) High Speed Rail (Read 286 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

High Speed Rail
Dec 6th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Why does America have no high-speed rail?  Asia (especially China) has well integrated high-speed rail networks with trains travelling over 250 mph, with routes connecting all of their major cities and everything in between.

Amtrak travels 60 mph on average and is never on time.  Last year Japan issued a nationwide apology over the media because one of their bullet trains was 20 seconds late.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: High Speed Rail
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 6:49pm:
Why does America have no high-speed rail?
Nobody wants it much except the cronies, who always drive up the costs and make sure the trains don't go where people would actually be able to make use of them?

Maybe, possibly, unionized railroad workers, working for cronies, can't build adequate roads?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
People would make great use of them.  They have and our taking out tax money to build a train from L.A. to S.F but they lied to us.  The project will take over 20 years and it is not even a high-speed train and it ends in Oakland where you have to then take BART if you want to go too S.F.. 

Ask the Chief about this, as I know it pisses him off just as much as it does I. The fukking thing will be useless.

If I could get from her to S.F. in 2 hours I absolutely would.  It takes a bit over an hour to fly to S.F. but the time it takes to drive to the airport and the wait time to get on the plane is many more hours.

You live in a shitty place that no one wants to go to so you don't understand.

Imagine being able to go from NYC to D.C. in one hour with a stop in Philly in between.  They have that now but it takes 4 hours.

Just look at what the Chinks already have:

And the Nips:

We have nothing.

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 6:49pm:
Why does America have no high-speed rail?  Asia (especially China) has well integrated high-speed rail networks with trains travelling over 250 mph, with routes connecting all of their major cities and everything in between.

Amtrak travels 60 mph on average and is never on time.  Last year Japan issued a nationwide apology over the media because one of their bullet trains was 20 seconds late.

All of this is not true. An American named William McKeen invented the 1st high speed bullet train in 1905 and it was powered by a gasoline engine, giving it a top speed of 129km/h.

Sources:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=134946
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamliner#United_States

Americans Donald R. Dohner & Raymond Loewy invented the high speed electric bullet train called the Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG1 in 1934: it has a top speed of 161km/h for the passenger trains, a top speed of 145km/h for the freight trains, and it can pull up to 14 train cars.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Railroad_class_GG1
http://www.joesherlock.com/PRR-GG1.html

America currently operates 479 double-decker Superliner high speed electric bullet trains that have a top speed of 193km/h and average speeds of 161km/h and they were invented by Pullman-Standard in 1975. Its subways can also reach 161km/h.

Amtrak's high speed trains are so popular that they have an average of 85,700 passengers a day and 31,300,000 passengers a year, generating an average revenue of $3,200,000,000 a year.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superliner_(railcar) 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&...

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 1:16am
Print Post  
None of those you listed are high speed rail (bullet trains).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/13/why-united-states-will-never-...

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 4:31am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Dec 7th, 2019 at 1:16am:
None of those you listed are high speed rail (bullet trains).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/13/why-united-states-will-never-...

The trains that I listed were the 1st to have bullet shaped noses, the 1st to exceed 100km/h, and the 1st to pull more than 10 train cars during regular service.

The US can actually build trains to run up to 575km/h like the French TGV but it would not be cost effective because that would require the use of higher gauge track which is thicker and uses more metal, and this would make building the infrastructure expensive, and it would also require more electricity to operate the trains which would increase operating costs.

The only reason this is done in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, China, and Japan is because they have very high population densities which means that they have enough customers to cover the costs of building and maintaining very high speed rail infrastructure that needs higher gauge track and a large amount of electricity to operate.

The US has a much lower population density and plenty of space that is largely unoccupied which means that very fast trains operating all over the whole country would not generate enough income to be profitable.

Amtrak may operate its trains at lower speeds, but it compensates by using double-decker trains to increase the volume of passengers transported throughout the country.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2019 at 6:20am by N567 »  

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 6:47am
Print Post  
No, you are wrong.  The reason America doesn't have shit is that the government doesnt get shit done.  Japan Rail Ways is six regional private rail companies. China's system though mostly state-owned is cool because the commies get shit done since they have no other party to oppose them.

Did you know that Japan completed the first Shinkansen bullet train from conception to finish in just 5 years?

Amtrak is not profitable because it is as slow as shit and not punctual.  In order for a train to compete, it has to be faster than getting there by bus, car or plane. 

A few weeks ago I took the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto non-stop.  If I were to fly there I would have to take a 90-minute bus to Narita two hours before the flight and wait. Then after over an hour in the air, I would land at Kansai and take a 90-minute bus to Kyoto.  Instead, I just hopped on the bullet train from downtown Tokyo and arrived in downtown Kyoto two hours later.  Not only did it take 1/4 of the time, but it also costs about half as much.

You are always a defender of failure just as you defended the rapist loser Roosh.

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 8:44am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Dec 7th, 2019 at 6:47am:
No, you are wrong.  The reason America doesn't have shit is that the government doesnt get shit done.  Japan Rail Ways is six regional private rail companies. China's system though mostly state-owned is cool because the commies get shit done since they have no other party to oppose them.

Did you know that Japan completed the first Shinkansen bullet train from conception to finish in just 5 years?

Amtrak is not profitable because it is as slow as shit and not punctual.  In order for a train to compete, it has to be faster than getting there by bus, car or plane. 

A few weeks ago I took the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto non-stop.  If I were to fly there I would have to take a 90-minute bus to Narita two hours before the flight and wait. Then after over an hour in the air, I would land at Kansai and take a 90-minute bus to Kyoto.  Instead, I just hopped on the bullet train from downtown Tokyo and arrived in downtown Kyoto two hours later.  Not only did it take 1/4 of the time, but it also costs about half as much.

You are always a defender of failure just as you defended the rapist loser Roosh.

No I am right, running the trains at higher speeds is not profitable in the US because of its low population density. The extensive rail network would be too expensive to upgrade if there are not enough customers to pay for it, which is why it is only done in certain areas.

And trains in the USA are slower but not to an extreme degree. I once took a commuter train from Manhattan to Brooklyn and the journey only took 15 minutes.

And you say that you have to wait for a plane to arrive at the airport before flying because planes follow a timetable, but trains also do the same thing: you also have to wait for the train to arrive before getting on it.

Though the trains in the USA run slower, there are turboprop commuter planes that you can take to fly from city to city or state to state. Several years ago, I took a commuter plane to fly from one state to another and because I followed the arrival time for the plane, I did not have to wait for it at the airport. Instead, I boarded the plane right away and the flight to the adjacent state lasted only 30 minutes since turboprops can reach speeds of up to 920km/h.

And the modern technology that Japan uses such as Edison cement, poured concrete buildings, poured concrete roads, moving assembly lines, industrial robots, high speed rail, passenger jets, and nuclear reactors, were all invented in the USA. The only reason Japan modernized was because of financial and technological aid from the USA in the form of the Marshall Plan after World War 2 ended.

And the commies do not get things done, their technology is all stolen from the USA.

Source: https://nationalvanguard.org/2019/07/rampant-chinese-theft-of-white-technology-p...

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:01am
Print Post  
I didn't say they invented the shit.  I said they get shit done.  China has the largest and best high-speed rail network in the world.

You don't think there is a demand for bullet trains from L.A. to S.F or NYC to D.C.?

You need to research all of attempt at building them here in America.  They have always been delayed, haulted or scrapped by government.  Look up Hyper Loop.  That is the newest proposal that is getting killed.

IP Logged

N567
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:06am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:01am:
I didn't say they invented the shit.  I said they get shit done.  China has the largest and best high-speed rail network in the world.

You don't think there is a demand for bullet trains from L.A. to S.F or NYC to D.C.?

You need to research all of attempt at building them here in America.  They have always been delayed, haulted or scrapped by government.  Look up Hyper Loop.  That is the newest proposal that is getting killed.

Major cities are already linked by the Acela Express which has a top speed of 241km/h.

The population density of the USA is much lower than China's, so it really will not be profitable.

I do understand your arguments about the incompetence of the US government. The reason why the US government is unable to complete major infrastructure projects is because too much money is wasted on useless things like promoting the SJW ideology, affirmative action, diversity through 3rd world immigration, creating laws that infringe on human rights, and persecuting those who disbelieve in SJWism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › High Speed Rail
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy