Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to Normalcy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Return to Normalcy (Read 530 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Return to Normalcy
Reply #70 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:09am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:00am:
You have one fund that is "diversified?"   You should have US and International stocks, large cap and small.   Developed and emerging markets.  Then you should have US and international bonds and REITs and a junk bond fund.
That's what "diversified" means kaz... And my diversified fund is conservative, which means only a tiny bit of it is in risky investments like junk bonds.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #71 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:10am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:00am:
I'll start a thread and give you a quick primer on investing.

Don't bother.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #72 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:09am:
That's what "diversified" means kaz... And my diversified fund is conservative, which means only a tiny bit of it is in risky investments like junk bonds.

Actually, the market beta for junk bonds is low, which means while it's risky itself, it actually reduces the risk of a diversified portfolio.

Whoever is giving you investment advice doesn't know what they hell they are talking about.

Also, you said you own one fund.  Is it a life cycle fund?  Those are the only ones I know that would own that broad an array of investments.  They tend to not have very low management funds due to the constant management.

You buy loaded funds and make your adviser lots of money, don't you?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #73 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:10am:
Don't bother.

Of course not, you know everything!  Just ask you!!!!  How do you get your head through doorways ???

At least this is what I do for a living.  I'm not blowing it all out of my ass like you are.

And too late, I already did.  It'll go over your head like everything else

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #74 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:06am:
Some did.

Um ... double the return of your portfolio is how the overall market did.

You realize your financial adviser is really just a salesman.

People get this:

Steve gets a job as a car salesman.  He is trained to sell cars.  He doesn't know anything about cars other than what he is told by people who do how to sell them.  No one would ask a car salesman for advice on the car itself, they realize that Steve is a salesman, not a mechanic, not an engineer, he's  a salesman.

With finance, people like Jeff just don't grasp that it's exactly the same.  your financial adviser is a ... wait for it ... salesman.   They don't know shit about investing.  They just know what they were trained to know to SELL you investing products.

I'm an expert in capital markets.  I understand investing because that is my job.  I don't sell.  People like me are the ones who design the financial instruments and create the knowledge salesmen use to sell financial instruments. It's not an either or.  Jeff's financial salesman is a hand holder who gets him to buy high fee funds where STEVE makes lots of money.  Jeff's a novice.  A complete sap

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #75 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:41am:
People like me are the ones who design the financial instruments and create the knowledge salesmen use to sell financial instruments.
That's impressive.

When did you say the crash is going to occur? Not in your lifetime? How long do you expect to live?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #76 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:08pm:
That's impressive.

When did you say the crash is going to occur? Not in your lifetime? How long do you expect to live?

Roughly another 30 years.

I'm not guaranteeing it won't happen in my lifetime.  I just think it won't.  Democrats could change that to it likely will happen in my lifetime if they get their green new deal crap implemented.

The point is that you and Chief don't have financial analysts giving you advice, you have salesmen giving you advice.  What is a salesman's job?  To sell you.  Make you feel comfortable.  Chief likes when his salesman tosses around financial lingo he doesn't understand.  It makes him feel comfortable.   But you have to realize their job isn't to understand what they are selling any more than any other salesman.

The obvious question would be, but kaz, can't they be a salesman and have the financial background to understand what they are selling?  Well, I can't guarantee you that the chick taking your order at McDonald's doesn't also happen to be a brain surgeon.  But if she is, why is she taking your order at McDonald's?

Understanding financial instruments is a skill, one that pays.  So why are they selling to individual investors if they have real skills they could make better pay doing?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #77 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 3:04pm:
Roughly another 30 years.

I'm not guaranteeing it won't happen in my lifetime.  I just think it won't.
So I shouldn't plan my investments for the long haul, or I should?

The "elites" seem to be converting cash to commodities at a pretty rapid pace...

Of course that course of action is only open to people who have cash, or are eligible (and willing) to borrow it... Lots of money has been made (and lost) doing stuff like that. Roll Eyes

Edit: It seems pretty clear that something real is more valuable than something fake.

Edit 2. Speaking of the Federal Reserve Bank, I don't think their notes were ever real. Were they?

They used to be pretty anyway.

Edit 3. Watch for rapidly rising commodity prices... But, by the time you see them, it might already be too late for you...

Oh well.

I assume you have something to fall back on? Severance pay and a government pension?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #78 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:16pm:
So I shouldn't plan my investments for the long haul, or I should?

You should.  But you should keep paying attention to developments.  I mean duh

Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:16pm:
The "elites" seem to be converting cash to commodities at a pretty rapid pace...

That article said they were buying and storing gold in their bunkers.  It didn't say anything about it being a significant portion of their holdings.

The rest of your post was Jeffing

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #79 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:23pm:
You should.
That in fact, was my investment strategy from the outset. Smiley

It's great that we agree! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Disclaimer: Investing for both the long, and short haul, will never produce spectacular results.

Going "all in" can produce spectacular results in either direction, but most usually, the wrong direction.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to Normalcy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy