Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to Normalcy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Return to Normalcy (Read 527 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Return to Normalcy
Reply #80 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:23pm:
That article said they were buying and storing gold in their bunkers.  It didn't say anything about it being a significant portion of their holdings.
They really like real estate... How's the billion Dollar yacht businesses doing?

You can tie up a lot of money in a bunker under your country estate...

What do you think they are mostly holding? I read that everybody is getting out of Treasuries, except for the Fed, who seem to think Treasuries are a Great investment right now. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Is there a number to go with "significant"?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #81 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:29pm:
That in fact, was my investment strategy from the outset. Smiley

It's great that we agree! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Disclaimer: Investing for both the long, and short haul, will never produce spectacular results.

Going "all in" can produce spectacular results in either direction, but most usually, the wrong direction.

This babbling Jeffing is brought to you by the original, Jeff!

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #82 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:35pm:
They really like real estate... How's the billion Dollar yacht businesses doing?

You can tie up a lot of money in a bunker under your country estate...

What do you think they are mostly holding? I read that everybody is getting out of Treasuries, except for the Fed, who seem to think Treasuries are a Great investment right now. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Is there a number to go with "significant"?

The gold being stocked by the "super rich" in their bunkers is beer money to me.  I'd say to you, but that would probably be significant

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #83 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:04am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:49pm:
The gold being stocked by the "super rich" in their bunkers is beer money to me.
So your mega-rich. Good for you.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #84 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I guess this is normal now;

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fisa-selects-former-obama-admin-lawyer-left-win...

The lead-in:

"The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) has stunned court-watchers by selecting David Kris -- a former Obama administration lawyer who has appeared on "The Rachel Maddow Show" and written extensively in support of the FBI's surveillance practices on the left-wing blog Lawfare -- to oversee the FBI's implementation of reforms in the wake of a damning Department of Justice inspector general report last year."

Representative David Nunes said this:

"Of all the people in the swamp ... this is the guy that you come up with?" Nunes asked. "The guy that was accusing me of federal crimes? The guy that was defending the dirty cops at the FBI? ... The court must be trying to abolish itself. There is long-term damage."

Of course, the FISA Courts won't "abolish themselves", it will take Congress to do that, and they should.

"Of all the people in the swamp ... this is the guy that you come up with?" Nunes asked. "The guy that was accusing me of federal crimes? The guy that was defending the dirty cops at the FBI? ... The court must be trying to abolish itself. There is long-term damage.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #85 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:04am:
So your mega-rich. Good for you.

Swish, and another one flies over Jeff's head ...

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #86 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:16am:
I guess this is normal now;

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fisa-selects-former-obama-admin-lawyer-left-win...

The lead-in:

"The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) has stunned court-watchers by selecting David Kris -- a former Obama administration lawyer who has appeared on "The Rachel Maddow Show" and written extensively in support of the FBI's surveillance practices on the left-wing blog Lawfare -- to oversee the FBI's implementation of reforms in the wake of a damning Department of Justice inspector general report last year."

Representative David Nunes said this:

"Of all the people in the swamp ... this is the guy that you come up with?" Nunes asked. "The guy that was accusing me of federal crimes? The guy that was defending the dirty cops at the FBI? ... The court must be trying to abolish itself. There is long-term damage."

Of course, the FISA Courts won't "abolish themselves", it will take Congress to do that, and they should.

"Of all the people in the swamp ... this is the guy that you come up with?" Nunes asked. "The guy that was accusing me of federal crimes? The guy that was defending the dirty cops at the FBI? ... The court must be trying to abolish itself. There is long-term damage.

Congress should just abolish them immediately.  I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but clearly it is out of control.

Republics dedicated to liberty do not need secret policeman and star chamber courts. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #87 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 1:11pm:
Congress should just abolish them immediately.  I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but clearly it is out of control.

Republics dedicated to liberty do not need secret policeman and star chamber courts. 
Agreed. Only libertarians opposed the FISA Courts from the beginning.

I'm pretty sure they also opposed an expanded role for the FBI. The FBI's original role, in 1908, was to investigate violations of federal criminal laws, of which counterfeiting is the only one I can remember...

At the time, it was still widely held that police powers were retained by the States, not granted to the national government, so the FBI actually didn't have much to do.

Not wanting to waste a newly created police force, the government started thinking up more and more things for them to do, and now, since Congress has made it a federal crime to live in America, they have to investigate everybody! Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #88 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 1:11pm:

I'm disgusted that the FBI directly lied to the FISA courts and no one has gone to jail.  Yes, they should be shut down

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #89 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:40pm:
Agreed. Only libertarians opposed the FISA Courts from the beginning

You like them when Democrats are President.  Your objection is that now a Republican is President

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to Normalcy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy