Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It Appears that the War with Iran has Finally Started
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It Appears that the War with Iran has Finally Started (Read 717 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: It Appears that the War with Iran has Finally Started
Reply #70 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 6:27pm:
Perhaps we aren't at war legally, but are we actually at war? Assassinating a General is an act of war, isn't it?

Is it now the precedent that the President, at his discretion,  can make war on anyone, whether we are legally at war, or not?

That's a dangerous precedent, and very wrong.

Typical Democrat response.  Let's be cowards, not defend our troops and let them die.

Iran committed endless acts of war against us.  But your orange man bad TDS is just more important than that, isn't it?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #71 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:02am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:47pm:
Typical Democrat response.  Let's be cowards, not defend our troops and let them die.

Iran committed endless acts of war against us.  But your orange man bad TDS is just more important than that, isn't it?
I'm concerned about the precedent, and I know Trump wasn't the president who created it.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #72 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:02am:
I'm concerned about the precedent, and I know Trump wasn't the president who created it.

So according to you, terrorists need to feel free and safe to kill our troops, attack our embassy and shoot down our drones in international waters.  You're concerned about the precedent of responding to that.

Commie bastard.  Go home to Russia

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #73 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:20am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:36am:
So according to you, terrorists need to feel free and safe to kill our troops, attack our embassy and shoot down our drones in international waters.  You're concerned about the precedent of responding to that.

The way I understand it, the President can respond militarily to imminent threats to the nation, repelling attacks and such like things, but Congress must be involved in taking the nation to war.

If you're happy with all the endless not-wars that presidents have gotten us into, and think that they were all the result of imminent threats to the nation, then you are happy to see it continue.

I'd like to have debates in Congress on the subject of going to war with Iran, or any other nation that commits acts of war against the U.S.

Probably the best idea is for Congress to declare war on Iran, and take out all of their leadership, both military and political, while destroying their war making capabilities, then leave the Iranian people to their own devices. I don't see "boots on the ground" as being at all necessary to accomplish that...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #74 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:20am:
The way I understand it, the President can respond militarily to imminent threats to the nation, repelling attacks and such like things, but Congress must be involved in taking the nation to war.

If you're happy with all the endless not-wars that presidents have gotten us into, and think that they were all the result of imminent threats to the nation, then you are happy to see it continue.

I'd like to have debates in Congress on the subject of going to war with Iran, or any other nation that commits acts of war against the U.S.

Probably the best idea is for Congress to declare war on Iran, and take out all of their leadership, both military and political, while destroying their war making capabilities, then leave the Iranian people to their own devices. I don't see "boots on the ground" as being at all necessary to accomplish that...

The great thing about that plan - besides that fact that it is exactly what the U.S. Constitution calls for - is that once congress declares war, there is no more worries about lawmakers having to be briefed before a mission and leaking the details.  Once war is declared, the CiC takes over and congress can read about them missions in the WaPo.

Edited:
  There is little doubt that General Salami would have ordered more attacks on Americans.  People keep doing what they do until there is a reason to stop and do something else.   

But the administration could not tell congress about any specific imminent threat.  If the idea is that "this guy is always attacking us, so we need to go to war against him," fine.  I'm all for that.  So long as the constitution is followed, i.e. Congress declares "That General Salami guy is an ongoing menace, so we declare war on him/Iran." 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #75 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:36pm:
The great thing about that plan - besides that fact that it is exactly what the U.S. Constitution calls for - is that once congress declares war, there is no more worries about lawmakers having to be briefed before a mission and leaking the details.  Once war is declared, the CiC takes over and congress can read about them missions in the WaPo.

[edit]  There is little doubt that General Salami would have ordered more attacks on Americans.  People keep doing what they do until there is a reason to stop and do something else.   

But the administration could not tell congress about any specific imminent threat.
Certainly when we station troops in Iraq (or other countries in the Middle East) there is probably an imminent threat to those troops, but that does not equate to an imminent threat to the nation.

If the President can order military attacks whenever he sees a threat to any American, anywhere, there are pretty much no limits on the President's ability to start wars.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #76 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:20am:

The troops are in Iraq.  That sucks and I'd like to see the process change, but Congress did authorize it.  If they want the troops home, they should revoke that authorization and eliminate the budget for it.  But as long as the troops are there, the idea the President can't protect them is a load of crap, America hating commie bastard.

But hey, what's a bunch of dead American soldiers when you have TDS, huh, Jeff?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #77 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:24pm:
Certainly when we station troops in Iraq (or other countries in the Middle East) there is probably an imminent threat to those troops, but that does not equate to an imminent threat to the nation.

If the President can order military attacks whenever he sees a threat to any American, anywhere, there are pretty much no limits on the President's ability to start wars.

Describing our troops being in Iraq as any American anywhere is the sewer swill that you are, commie bastard.

Just admit you want dead troops as part of your petty feud with the orange clown, dick wad

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #78 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:06pm:
The troops are in Iraq.  That sucks and I'd like to see the process change, but Congress did authorize it.
When? For what purpose?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #79 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 6:07pm:
When? For what purpose?

For gardening carrots.  Learn to use Google

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It Appears that the War with Iran has Finally Started
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy